2 OHM and 4 OHM???

Jim Pratt
Unregistered guest
What is the difference between 2 and 4 OHMS? Which one is better for rock music?

Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 2
I don't think there is much difference in how a speaker would sound, if you have an amp that is 2 ohm stable it would be louder at 2ohms than at 4 because there is less impedance, means more current ,equals more power

Bronze Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 11
here's an example using ninjas, awesome!

think of yer amp as a dojo, and yer subs as a corrupt empire. think of 1 ohm as a 1 story high wall. so your dojo releases hella ninjas (watts) to reak havok on the corrupt empire. if you wire yer subs at 2 ohms (thats a two story high wall) many ninjas will get into the corrupt empire. but if you wire them at 4 ohms, only so many ninjas will get over (only the halla L337 ones).

more ohms = less power to the subs, it has nothing to do with sounding good. ohms are all about electrical resistance. yer amp should tell you how many watts it puts out for each diff ohm load (resistence).

ninjas roxorz

New Guy 12
Unregistered guest
so if I'm getting an alpine type R 10" sub, should I get the 2 OHM or 4 OHM model????

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8060
decide on an amplifier first. after that, choose the correct coil setup for your subs.
subs are offered as SVC, DVC, 2 ohms, 4 ohms etc in order to match them to your amplifier and the number of subs you'll have connected to that amp.

see why math was important in HS now?
hehe

New Guy 12
Unregistered guest
Will one alpine SWR 1042d sub work with a Kenwood KAC-8152D for an amp??? Will it have enough power??

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8064
SWR 1042d is a dual 4 ohm 10" type R?
what's the RMS power at 2 and 4 ohms for that kenwood? I don't follow their stuff by model
also too busy to look it up. sorry

New Guy 12
Unregistered guest
Yes it is a dual voice coil.
Kenwood KAC-8152D RMS:
RMS Power: 300W x 1 @ 4 ohms
RMS Power: 550W x 1 @ 2 ohms
Max Power=1100 watts

Alpine Spec:
RMS Power Range=50-500 watts
peak power handeling= 1500 watts

Will it work????????

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8066
one dual 4 ohm coil type R with that amp, sure.. should work fine

Username: Haucks

Post Number: 3
Is that kenwood more of a sound quality or pure loudness? ie SQ?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 474
wow, that was about the most unintelligent way of explaining resistance. you could have used water flowing through different diameter hoses instead of ninjas and corrupt empires. and u are 19? wow. more ohms may mean less power but it also means more stability for the amp. so its not necessarily a bad thing.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8076
not so much more stability as less THD, better SNR, better damping, and more headroom by using a 4 ohm load as opposed to something lower, but going with an impedance that's too high has it's drawbacks too.
You need to know the specific amplifier's range of operation and at what load it's designed to be most efficienf if you really want to get the best SQ out of it. Otherwise, using the amp at any load within it's operating parameters will pretty much give you the same results with varying amounts of power. Not that most people can tell using $150 amplifiers when combined with 80dB of road noise and the 10+% distortion any speaker is going to have anyway..

as for kenwood amplifiers, I don't like them a lot myself so I'd have to say they aren't designed for SQ or SPL.. they're designed for mass appeal based on looks and price. They have a moderately high failure rate and tend to like shutting down with a simple 2 ohm load even though that's within their spedified range of loads.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
everybody does the water one though, don't hate me for being different. and it was inteligent, just a bit wacky. it still got the point across.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 479
im not hatin, it was just dumb. so then how will you explain different resistance for different metals, or different cross sectional area, or different temperatures. how about EMI or RFI? still gonna use ninjas?

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 77
You could use killer whales. Say that a daddy killer whale is 1 ohm, momma is 2 ohm, and baby is 4 ohm. These killer whales are hungry for sea lions, so if the sea lions are the watts, you can see that more sea lions can be consumed by the daddy whale because he is bigger. Then the momma whale will eat less than the daddy whale because she is smaller. And baby will eat even less than that, maybe even just some fish. So the resistance is the size of the stomach, or er, the appetite, or maybe the bulk of the killer whale. Well, I understand it. Orca would be a good name for an amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
well he didnt ask about that DID he? you're no fun at all.

Bronze Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 78
Santa Rosa, I have some friends in Sebastapool. I liked your ninjas. We could combine and have killer whales eating ninjas.

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 98
i have a kicker 850.2 and 2ohms is 425x2 and 850x1 at 4ohms any idea why?

Bronze Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 79
That's wrong then. Ohms are the amount of resistance so the more ohms you have the more resistance, meaning less power. Those specs are impossible.

Bronze Member

Benicia, California

Post Number: 80
Oh, the 850 watts are bridged from both channels at 4 ohms and the 2 ohms is each channel. I feel dumb now.

Silver Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 102
so what would it be then any idea James

gpz1100
Unregistered guest
The killer ninja whales was a funny analogy (though not directly related). Still gave a good laugh.

What the OP should realize, is that the same sub (assuming he/she's going with a single sub setup) is also available in a 2 ohm DVC configuration.

If you don't intend on running multiple subs, and have an amp capable of being bridged while support a 4 ohm load (most bridgeable amps are), then get the 2 Ω DVC model, wire it in series. Your amp is then presented with a 4 Ω impedance, and should work nicely.

My alpine amp does 250 x 2 into 2 ohm loads, or 500 x 1 into 4 ohm. Either way the power figure works out the same, but as pointed out above, 4 ohm is more stable, less thd, etc..

gpz1100
Unregistered guest
The killer ninja whales was a funny analogy (though not directly related). Still gave a good laugh.

What the OP should realize, is that the same sub (assuming he/she's going with a single sub setup) is also available in a 2 ohm DVC configuration.

If you don't intend on running multiple subs, and have an amp capable of being bridged while support a 4 ohm load (most bridgeable amps are), then get the 2 ohm DVC model, wire it in series. Your amp is then presented with a 4 ohm impedance, and should work nicely.

My alpine amp does 250 x 2 into 2 ohm loads, or 500 x 1 into 4 ohm. Either way the power figure works out the same, but as pointed out above, 4 ohm is more stable, less thd, etc..

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 492
well sorry i would rather be accurate and informative than be stupid and fun.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us