Are my amps robbing power from each other?

Bronze Member
Username: Bob_falfa

NE

Post Number: 17
I have an Orion Xtreme 375 for my sub and a new US Acoustics USC 4065 for my components and rears. I have been having some trouble getting it to work right. Each is hooked up to its own RCA output from the head unit. With the fader set flat the sub amp will lose power. If I adjust the fader to only the sub amp it comes back on. I am not blowing any fuses. I had an MTX Thunder 404 before the USC and everything worked fine. Ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7957
are you using the remote wire as a trigger for the amplifiers?
do the amps have an auto-sensing mode for power on?
if so, shut off the auto sensing (which uses RCA line voltage as it's trigger) and rely on the hard wired remote line from the head unit or an ignition line.

Bronze Member

NE

Post Number: 18
I am using the remote wire as a trigger, however I am using my stock head unit's power antenna trigger as my remote.

I do not believe either amp has an auto-sensing mode, at lease I have not seen a button or switch for such a feature.

When I first got the amp I hooked it up to try it out. I then disconnected it to mount on my amp rack. When it was mounted and reconnected I got nothing. No lights, sound or anything. By accident, I discovered that it would power on when the ground from the RCA came in contact with the amp chassis. I have seen some Alpines recommend grounding the chassis.

I know all of the connections are good because the Orion is working off of the same power, ground, and remote. I am thinking that maybe the remote does not have enough power for both?

Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 9
why dont you use the remote lead from yer HU as the turn on for both amps? just split the connection. for what reason are you using the power antenna lead? thats just strange...

Bronze Member

NE

Post Number: 20
Agreed, it is strange. I am using the stock head unit. For some reason the turn on trigger from the stock amp is only 4 volts. Most Saab guys have recommended using the power antenna connection. I have a relay and plan to install my own switched 12 volt trigger (eventually). I am returning the USC to the retailer and they have offered to replace it. In the meantime, I will hook speakers back up to the head unit and get my relay installed. That way I will be able to provide a remote to each amp on a fused line.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us