Thoughts on Dynamat

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2497
I can see how it would help in gaining Db's, but I have a few questions on why wouldn't it hurt too!
1For example, when I'm listening to the radio in my truck, it doesn't sound that good, but role the windows down and it it makes all the difference. Now I know that has to do with cabben gain, but wouldn't adding dynamat or something like that make it where there would be even less cabben gain? Because, roling down the windows makes more airspace... so the bass can travil/frequencies can bounce, but if you added Dynamat, I'd think it would hurt the sound, hurting cabben gain. Am I making any sense, or am I just a complete tard?:-) lol

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 149
it probably wouldn't sound any worse, you'd just be able to hear it better.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7962
tard :P hehe

sound deadening the cabin lowers the sympathetic frequency of the vehicle interior, and increases efficiency by reducing wasted energy that you'd otherwise by losing to resonating sheet metal and plastics.
dynamat, spray in linings, expanding foam, etc all reduce resonance.
this increases the amount of power that you're actually going to hear as music, by reducing the amount of power that would otherwise be used in other ways, like by flexing the metal of the car, or rattling plastic and such.
the issue with your windows isn't going to be affected by the dynamat. your best bet there is going to a different enclosure design or venting your cabin to the outside air in some way.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2501
KK, so it doesn't even affect cabben gain... I would of thought it would have. So I might need to go Ported then?
Whats some cheaper virsions of dynamat?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 152
eDead is pretty good

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 260
dynamat xtreme is the best...it can be applied without a heat gun at almost any temperature. edead has a temperature limit(around 60 degrees i believe) that it can be applied without a temperature gun...dynamat will stick upside permanently and not fall off...i've used that, spray, and a cheaper rollout brand, and been most satisfied with dynamat xtreme...

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2504
KK guy's, thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7978
best stuff I've used is LizardSkin, but it's spray-on and it's expensive.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2517
Yeah, I've looked at that stuff... its pretty cool, but yeah it cost a pretty penny.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us