Amp Dying

Username: Berlinbullet

Post Number: 1
Well, my current problem with my amp is bringing back memories of previous problems of my amp dying and coming back to life... except with a new twist this time.

I have an Alpine M350 mono amp currently that just doesn't want to work since I messed with it this afternoon. My sub was bumping, I took it out of my car to do some house cleaning, put it back in the car, decided to turn up the bass boost and gains a little bit and turned my stereo back on. Expecting to get my usual thump, I was flattened with the sound of a 4 speaker system... not to great of an experience.

Now, sometimes the amp will turn on, but for the most part it stays off. And when it does come on, I get no sound out of my sub. And when I do get sound, it lasts for a couple minutes, then goes away and wont come back. Note that I've only gotten sound out of it since this happening one time.

I am getting pretty fed up with this Alpine amp... thinking about getting rid of it possibly and upgrading... so on that note, suggestions are welcome (I like to stay in the 200 dollar price range... Highschool student without a job... small town life at its best...)

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 208
Take it to an audio/video repair shop and have them diagnosis the problem, usually a small inspection fee, it might be cheaper to fix the problem than purchase a new amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Thespotlight

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 15
If it was fine before you did the housecleaning then maybe you rewired it wrong. Is your sub a dual or single voice coil sub?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 297
my guess is you got it wired up bad?

thats usually what happens when an amp overheats...it will shut itself down

not sure tho do what TBone said, get it diagnosed and go from there

Post Number: 2
I checked it out some more this evening. I noticed one thing different. Upon turning my HU back on, for a brief moment the amp would turn, but then the "on" light would fade to off. Kind of weird. Probably going to take it into an audio place that I think will check it out for free. If only things just worked...

Post Number: 3
i forgot to mention as well, as far as the wiring goes, there isnt anything wrong with that. The only thing i disconnected and had to put back were the wires into my box, so I know that isnt the problem.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 299
have you checked your fuses? like on your amp and on your power cable ... i dont think that would be it but its worth a try, also check your remote turn on? if that came loose and is barely touching, that could be a reason too

but yeah go have it checked out or even before you do, try hooking up your amp to a friends car and see what happens - if the same thing happens, you'll know its the amp

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 215
Yeah, check the remote on/off, since it powers up then fades out. Also, try new fuses, their inexpensive and might have gotton 0ne that did not blow correctly, thus it sends power for a split second.

Post Number: 4
well, i decided since i was going to change from 8 guage to 4 guage i would just do that first and hope that was the problem. turns out, it was, my wire had been pinched and not gettin the power through. im back in business, woohooo!

Anonymous

I need help with my amp!!
To begin, I know nothing about systems, yet I had this bright idea to get one installed in my new car. Anyways, I went to a place that I was referred to by a friend- but I still feel like they are taking advantage of me- since I know absolutely nothing. So this is what I have in my car right now- there are 2 diamond audio 10" woofers- I think, they are the CM310D4's which have a 500 watt RMS range (I think but I dont really know what I'm talking about). They are powered by an A490 dbdrive amp, and after I listen to rap music for about 30 min the woofers stop playing completely. So I figure the amp is overheating, but I touch the amp and it's not even hot!! What's going on? Can anyone help me- I don't know if the amp and subs are a good combination, for some reason I feel like the amp is not powerful enough, but I really don't know anything... Do I need a better amp, or not neccessarily better, but one that will power my subs better? ANY advice will help.

Bronze Member
Username: Thespotlight

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 47
The gain or bass boost of the amp is probably turned up too high. I would start there and see if it sounds better and stops the clipping.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us