Bolting an amp to the box

Bronze Member
Username: Camaro823

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 32
Hey, just wondering if any damage can happen to an amp, if i were to bolt it to a box with the subs. Like I have 2 12" subs and the amp bolted in the middle, can the vibrations cause damage to the amp ?

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 170
alot of ppl do dat although i swear i read somewere on this forum that all those vibrations might cause internal amp damage but i dotn think so

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 133
you should be fine, thats a common practice. Just use sealant on the inside to make sure its airtight.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 32
Well, of course, it doesn't cause the damage right away.... but matter of time, your amp will get internal damage. If you only paid 50 buck for your amp.. yes .. but 300+ .. NO. Don't take that risk.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 314
I did it with the first amp I'd ever bought (a Kicker a few years ago). The cover rattled a ton, so I removed it and haven't mounted an amp on an enclosure since.

Bronze Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 36
alright, well do you have any ideas for a good place to put it, other than under a seat? but i don't want it bolted down somewhere, the reason I wanted it on the box was so i could easily remove the whole setup if i wanted to load stuff in my truck.

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 98
just go for it, youll learn from experience

Bronze Member

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 99
if youre playing some kicker subs, or audiobahn subs, just do it. but it youre fooling around with a brahma, or xxx... nevermind, you wouldnt be asking that question

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 806
"but i don't want it bolted down somewhere,"

I've heard horror stories about people not bolting their equipment down and it ended up nearly killing them in car accidents.

Of course bolting it to the subwoofer box is no exception for reasons already stated in this thread...but to recap:it's just going to vibrate the components lose inside the amplifier.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 175
just bolt it down to the wall or floor of your trunk next to the sub box

Bronze Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 38
alright sounds good

Username: Mwdawson2004

Post Number: 10
Do amps have to be bolted down...what could happen if they arent?

Bronze Member

British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 39
I thought you could have it just lying there, but in an accident , the amp will probably fling around causing more damage and I would guess that the amp would move around if it wasn't secured.

Bronze Member

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 100
well if you amp is behind you sub box in a sedan, there isnt many places it can go, now if you have it in an suv or a van not bolted down, yes it can fly around and maybe bonk you on the head

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 819
Congrats on post 100 infinity guy...heh heh.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3488
Get a plywood about the size of your back seat and screw that onto it. Then screw the amp on the board.
Unless you have Sony/Pyramid amps or play the subs at very LOW volume, do NOT mount it on the box. It will damage it, guaranteed.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 136
I did that and from the vibrations it got unscrewed from the wood put on the back seat....that's a problem when u have BIG amps and huge enclosure....and small cars lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us