Expert needed! Using an ipod instead of a head unit.

Username: Pbase

Post Number: 1
After 4 break-ins and losing a good bit of audio equipment, I've decided not to install a head unit in my Honda anymore, but to instead hook up my ipod to my 4 speakers and subwoofer.

The signal from the ipod is going into a Clarion MCD360 crossover, then into a a2002T audiobahn amp for the 4 speakers, and a JBL LCA502 for the sub (an old amp, I know, but it gets the job done!)

I'm using a 2nd generation ipod, without the line-out signal. I have one of those wires that has a mini-jack on one end (to go into the ipod headphone jack) and 2 RCA leads on the other, to go into the crossover.

Now, do the RCA leads automatically step the output from the ipod down to line level, or do I need some sort of converter?
I'm a newbie to installations, but I've done a pretty good job so far hooking everything up to power.

I tried testing my hookup and attached the ipod to the JBL amp inputs. Heard a bit of sound, then nothing. Did I ruin the amp, or did it go into "protection" mode?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

audioguy22
Unregistered guest
You'll need a line driver for starts.

Bronze Member
Username: Msx

Post Number: 14
Im guessing but i would say ur ipod isnt producing enough sound for the amp to put it.

Maybe you should spend a little on a good car alarm or maybe a head unit with detachable face.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input, guys.
First, What's a line driver?
Second, The Ipod puts out a strong enough signal for my home amp. And it's only 100 watts. The amp in my car is 200.

I had one of those 2 way car alarms that page you when someone breaks in. It didn't go off. And a detachable face head unit still alerts a crook that you at least have amps and other equipment in the car. They may not be able to take the head unit, but they can still take the rest of your stuff.

Audioguy22
Unregistered guest
Line Drive will bring the Ipod line level(less than 1 volt) up to 4~10 volts and remain very clean. I think AudioControl is good for the money. Output wattage has nothing to do with input voltage. A home amp will play loud with 1 volt and 10 mw. Most car amps want alot more.

Post Number: 3
Thanks guy, but the ipod I'm using doesn't have line level. I'm plugging into the headphone jack. Should I still use the line driver?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us