Only 275 amp alt will fit

Water
Unregistered guest
Im getting 2 15'' t2 rockford subs and the t20001 power amp

my stock amp is 140 amps i think I need about 340 amps will a capacitor help or hurt i dont think i can run this setup without 1

Bronze Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 54
What load will you be driving with that amp and what will you have it fused at? 340 amps seems excessive for your alternator. Even if you run a 1 ohm load, you should probably only be fusing it at around 150 amps. As for a capacitor, might not be a bad idea, but won't solve low voltage issues, it'll just hide them.

Water
Unregistered guest
its a mono amp 2000 watts rms underated could hit anywere from 2200-2400 like I said 275 fits
im not doing this its too much power for me to even attempt I still have my 85 by 4 watt eclipse amp for highs

my thing is will 275 amps be enough
and wich cap should i get an how many farads
i saw a jl and rockford cap does it mater who cap you get?

Bronze Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 60
I'm not that familiar with rockford amps, but you seem a little optimistic in thinking that rockford amps are 10-20% underrated. Anyway, that 2000 watts RMS is at 1 ohm, will you be using the amp to drive a 1 ohm load? 275 amps will honestly be enough. Even if you're right about the amp being able to produce 2400 watts RMS, if you divide that by 14.4 volts, your still only using 167 amps, leaving 108 left for your car. Your car's electrical system and lights won't need more than 1500 watts. As for your capacitor, as long as you buy a decent brand, (not a walmart capacitor) you should be fine. Find the manual for that amp and see what the recommend for a fuse size.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 265
You won't have 2000w flowing continuously, only on the deepest and most powerful hits. The average drain will probably be about 80-120, depending on how you listen to your music.

Also take into account that amplifiers are not 100% efficent.

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 141
that lack of efficiency only causes the amp to draw more current, not less...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7934
capacitor sin't going to do a thing for voltage.

Unregistered guest
I have a 1500 Watt rockford running my 2 JL 12w3's and i have a 1.2 farad capacitor and my light's still dim when the bass hits,,,,,,,any ideas why ??

Unregistered guest
I have a 1500 Watt rockford running my 2 JL 12w3's and i have a 1.2 farad capacitor and my light's still dim when the bass hits,,,,,,,any ideas why ??

Silver Member

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 236
yea, 1500 watts is a lot considering that its far more than the your entire car would use before you put the system in. Your car doesn't have an unlimited power supply, just an alternator, and it has only has a few amps to spare. Get around a 200 amp High Output alternator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us