Alternator Installation

Anonymous

I just bought a 135 Amp alternator for my 98 Honda Civic DX. I need to know how to install it. I know I need a larger power wire for it but what do i do with the old 8G power wire? Get rid of it or hook it up to?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3424
You will need 4 gauge alternator wire, battery to ground and engine to ground.
Depending on the flywheel on your new alternator, you might need a smaller alternator belt.
Before you remove anything, find all the parts you will need first. Last thing you need is to put it back cause yo forgot to get a part.

Anonymous

When wiring up the alternator wire, where do I wire it to?? Jus like the riginal one is or what b/c ive read all over the internet to run the wire from the alternator straight the the battery and fusing it at the battery?? My stock wiring is ran from the alternator to the fuse box and THEN to the battery...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3427
You REPLACE the alternator wire. Unlike the other 2, it can't be run on top. Not enough space.
You can hook the wire exactly the way your stock is run, but the fuse in the fuse box will limit the current draw to whatever size you see in there. Most are around 80A or less.
This is why it's better to get another inline fuse to the size required by your alternator, near the battery.

Anonymous

What size fuse would I need for the wire goin frrom the alternator to the battery if they alternator is 135 amps b/c my alternator didnt come with a recommended fuse size

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have an installation guide for installing an alternator on a 2000 chevy cavalier 2.2 liter. Please Help

Gold Member

Post Number: 3520
Use the fuse size of the alternator. So if it's 130A, then get a fuse near the battery that is 130A.
Holly, pick up a Hilton's manual on Chevy and you will find a topic on replacing alternator. It's basically the same procedure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us