For the pros here

Bronze Member
Username: 350_blaze

Post Number: 11
O.k. how does this sound orion 2100 hcca comp amp [old] sitting in my closet. And two 12" adire brahmas. I read about the rms on the brahmas and is it true any rms will drive them? This is great for possible upgrade in amp size. Any one else have the brahmas? What do you think. It should pound I think. The orion had no problem with two 15's. Input everyone.

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 15
quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DanWiggins:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that in many alignments, 1000W will get that Brahma 15 to full excursion. A driver's power rating is NOT a power requirement nor a power recommendation. Power required to get full output from the driver is highly box dependent.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottie Johnson has 10,000W (yes, 10 kilowatts) on tap for each of his 9 Brahmas, and has never burned a voice coil.

Whether your driver survives or not is completely at your discretion; no one can tell you if it will survive or not, only you can determine that.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brahma's don't NEED a certain amount of power; they can thrive and perform quite nicely on lower levels of power! Adding more power adds more SPL, but that's it. And you can still get to very high SPL levels with 600-1000W of power (high enough to cause permanent hearing damage).

In fact, NO driver really needs it's rated power; the rated power is what the driver can handle thermally. But in reality, the actual amount of power the driver can handle without being driven beyond its linear limits is COMPLETELY dictated by the box. In many applications, 600W will push a Brahma to it's linear limits; in most applications, 1000W is all that's needed.

Remember, thermal power handling as a guide of what a driver needs is really a bad way to go. You need to consider your application and goals, and go from there.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, will it work That amp should be 600x2. It' says 600w for full excursion.I think this is my new setup for now.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 252
a pair of 15" brahmas on a BP1200.1 would be a GREAT matchup if they are in large vented boxes, 600w rms each would give you SPL levels in excess of 120 dB, while still giving excellent SQ

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 162
That old HCCA amp is excellent, If you purchase some two four ohm sub, wire them in parralell on the bridged 2100, thus 1 0hm mono, I think you will be driving them just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Just wanted to say thanks T bone. Long time since I heard this beast.

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 171
Yeah, in the day before I switched to Autotek amps, I ran two 225 HCCA at one ohm mono. That's right a 25 x 2 amp that was putting out 500-600 watts mono, boy what happened to Orion? They should definetly rerelease those monsters. Glasswolf posted somewhere he also had a 225 wired this way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yeah what did happen! I was out of the seen for a while and I come back And I can't really tell sh#t from shine anymore. How are the autoteks good sq, big spl what's up? Will brahmas like em?Just in case the orion wants to take a permanent nap from, many years of banging subs.The real sh#t brands from the old school are still thriving [legay,pyramic,etc.]but, the bad azz stuff faded out! Sadly dissapionted to here this but that's buisness I guess?

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 179
Yeah, a lot of the old school primo stuff was bought up by foreign investors and moved oversees. Once they were offshore, they no longer used Mil=spec components and such, in the name of cost-cutting. As for the Autoteks, I switched over last year and have been very satisfied with their performance. I have one of their older 7050 XX amps bridged mono on a one ohm load running four 15's and couldn't be happier. And like the Old HCCA the X-Class produce monster power at low impendence levels. The 7050 XX is only rated at 22 x 2 watts, but is actually putting out numbers like the 225 HCCA bridged mono at one ohm. I have put one of their X-Class monoblocks in my boat (1500.1) and am can't wait for summer. Check them out online, the X-Class is under Mean Machines, and the Stealth Line.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
All right I'll check them out. Thanks T.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us