Fuse Sizes on Dual Amp Setup

kevinc
Unregistered guest
I am installing an Alpine MRP-M200 and a Zed Audio Gladius, each with a fuse rating of 25A. I have decided to run a 4AWG power wire about 10 feet to the back of my vehicle, at which point it meets a fused distribution block. Two 8AWG wires will then travel to my amps, which are only a few feet away. My question then becomes, which size fuse should I use just after the battery and at the distribution block?

I might add that Zed Audio specifically states that the Gladius, or any other amplifier for that matter, should not be over fused. My logic tells me to use a 50A fuse after the battery and two 25A fuses at the distribution block. Can someone explain?

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 206
The fuses at the distro and battery are there to protect the wiring. It's easier (and safer) to change just one fuse, than risking a short in the wires leading to a fire.

Use a fuse that matches the max amperage draw of the wire gauge. For the 4g just after the battery, use a 150A fuse. For the 8g at the distro, use a 100A fuse. The fuse inside the amp will protect them if the current runs too high.

kevinc
Unregistered guest
I understand what you are saying, Knacko, but I'm not completely sure the Zed amp has a built-in fuse.
If this is the case, it seems as though things would change. Can you explain? Thanks a lot.

goridersgo
Unregistered guest
I have a similar question. I am looking at purchasing a MTX 800D for my two infinity 10's and I'm somewhat confused about the fuse rating stated on the specs sheet. It says the fuse rating is 3 X 25 but the 4 Gauge amp kit im looking at has a 60A fuse which I thought to be plenty for an amp running 200rms at 4ohms. From my past knowledge i know that fuse ratings of multiple amps are added but does this principle stay true for single amps with a fuse rating such as 3 X 25A? How heavy of an amp kit am I going to need?

Infinity_Addict
Unregistered guest
gorid, the 3x25 are three 25A fuses on yer amp. for wiring, look at the "current draw" for the amp and buy a fuse to match. are you looking at the MXA8001? the owners manny says to use a 90A fuse for this amp.

goridersgo
Unregistered guest
Its last year's model. Its the 800D. I beleive its 90A. Thanks for the help I should have read the entire specs list but I'm clear now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us