Quad Voice Coil Wiring Help

Bronze Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 16
I want to wire a 1 ohm X 4 voice coil sub to a 2 channel amplifier. The amplifier is going to be bridged and needs a final impedance of 1 ohm. I don't have a lot experience with quad voice coil subs (none actually)...can i finish with a 1 ohm load? how? Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 116
PARALLEL 2 VOICE COILS AND U'LL GET 0.5 OHM THEN PARALLEL THE OTHER 2 AND U'LL GET 0.5OHM. THEN SERIE THOSE 2 AND U'LL GET 1OHM.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 289
That 2 channel is .5 ohm stable?? Better check again. It's possible, but just make sure. That is a good way to fry an amp.

Silver Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 117
HE'S GOING TO BRIDGE THE AMP AND HAVE 1OHM ANYWAY, SO BOTH CHANNEL GOTTA BE 1OHM STABLE.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
It is the MA Audio HK-802SX...It is .5 ohm stable for 2200 W x 2...It is also 4400 W x 1 @ 1.0 ohm. 1.0 ohm is what I want...so use a combination of parallel/series/parallel/series?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Doing .5 ohm for 2200 w x 2 be doable right? By each channel in parallel? Would it be better to do 1.0 ohms or 0.5 ohms...On a power rating scale? Distortion scale? Reliability scale? Ease of installation scale? Thanks guys.

Silver Member

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 118
i WOULD DO 1OHM BRIDGED. ONE COZ U GOT MORE RESISTENCE AND THE AMP WILL GET LESS WARM.SECOND COZ IT'S EASIER TO REGULATE THE GAIN WHEN THE AMP IS BRIDGED AND U WONT MAYBE HAVE 2 VOICE COILS WITH DIFFERENT INPUT FROM THE OTHER 2. HOPE U UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYIN.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yea crystal clear.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 290
Audiobahn Fan, either way he does it that amp has to be .5 ohm stable, you know that right? He says it is .5 stable so he should be good. If he wires it parallel to start with he has 2x.5 ohm loads. He could wire each to its own channel. Not the best way. Or there is a better way. Just wire the sub series/parallel, much easier. Like this:

Upload

But when you bridge an amp, the amp reads half the ohms. Thats why 2-channel amps that are 2 ohm stable can only be bridged at 4-ohms, cuz the amp actually sees 2 ohms. Get it? That's why he has to have a .5 ohm stable amp either way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
The amp is .5 ohm stable and when bridged, it is stable at 1 ohm...Thanks for the diagram, very helpful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us