JL 250/1 amp for 12" infinity kappa perfect DVC?

Bronze Member
Username: Wj94

Post Number: 13
Would these two be a good combination? I know the JL amps are very under-rated and the infinity sub is rated at 350W RMS. Or would I be better off going with the JL 500/1? I don't know if that would overpower the sub. If anyone has seen/heard this combo first-hand, help me out! Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 156
The 500/1 sounds like a good match on the perfects.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Wouldn't the 500/1 overpower the sub if I was only running one sub? I have a 2000 Mustang and I think 2 subs would take up the entire trunk (if it would fit at all). I'd like to leave at least a little space to put stuff if I need too, rather than turning my back seat into my entire cargo space.

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 13
I would say - sealed box and the 500/1 you'd have to make a concerted effort to damage that sub.
500/1 and a ported enclosure - if it starts sounding like it's struggling turn it down a little.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 164
You put a 500/1 on a Infinity Sub and you will be good for a couple weeks at the most and then your sub will fry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
That's what I figured....how do you think the 250/1 would do with a single sub??

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 239
a 250/1 would probly put out more like 300-350w rms so its a really good matchup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Word....also about $100-200 cheaper depending where I get it from. Good stuff, I think I may just go with that combo. Would you suggest wiring them in parallel to give a 2-ohm load?

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 14
you don't blow a speaker just by running an amp that's capable of over-powering it. You blow speakers by clipping amps and driving them with 2 or 3 times their thermal power limit. The 250 would be great, but the 500 would work fine too and give you plenty of headroom/room to upgrade.
The 250 will probably be in the 300w neighborhood.
JL is not a company that tends to under-rate their amps by a ton. They like their customers to know what they're getting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I think if I was to upgrade to 2 subs or a higher powered sub later on, I'd just sell the 250/1 and buy a brand new 500/1 for a little more money. If I bought the 250/1, that would give me more room for a head unit so that I could put an Alpine CDA-9813 or Eclipse CD8443 in my car.

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 16
sweet, sounds like a plan.

Silver Member

Post Number: 250
go with the eclipse head unit, awesome choices on equipment by the way wj94

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
oh and ive heard of a 500/1 putting out around 775w rms too so yeah they do underrate their amps a crapload in some cases

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks. I'm trying to get the whole thing (sub/box/amp/head unit/wiring) purchased and installed for under $1000. Speakers will be replaced after I buy some rims.....now I just need an extra $1000 on top of the first $1000. =/

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 17
There might be a fluke amp here and there that puts out way more than rated power, but I tend to trust Manville when he says JL's amps tend to stay pretty close to what they're rated at. Certainly more than the number some guy got in his garage with a volt meter and some test tones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
I've heard from a lot of people that the 250/1 puts out around 325-350W RMS. I'm not looking to blow away the neighborhood. Old people in million dollar houses tend not to like that. lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us