Alternator prices

Username: Kkmike

Post Number: 10
I was checking out a 200amp alternator for my 1999 Suburban. I see prices from $230 up to $750? What would be the difference? ie Ohio Generator & H-O-alternator are in the $750 range; mralternator.com is $250. They're all new, not refurbished, so why such a price difference?
I have a JL1000/1 and a JL450/4, which do ok at normal volumes - stock alt is 140amp, but when I crank it, especially relentless bass lines, the headlights flicker a bit and you can see the volt gauge on the dash go down a bit.
Another question - when I'm driving, even cranked it's ok...just when I'm at idle does the voltage take a hit; will a HO alternator help that? Or will it not make a difference at idle speeds anyway.

Mike

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 134
Just like amplifiers, there are varying levels of quality when it comes different products. I guess your choice would depend on if you will being using the car for show? If so, buy the higher one, if not, you probably can get by with the lower one. The more expensive one probably uses better wire when it is designed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us