Wiring up my Install (im new to this)

Username: Macca166

Bolton, Lancashire United Kingdom

Post Number: 1
HIya boys, im completely new to this so plz go easy on me.

I have a full install waiting to go in my boot, but i dont have a clue about how t wire it up. I have a 1.5 Farad Cap, 2 Pioneer amps in boxes, 2 Amps (one for the subs, one for the front comps) and a pair of front comps with tweeters and cross-overs.

Can anyone please explain to me how to wire the Power cap up, as this will be powering my two Amps. I also am not sure how to attach the Earth to it, will this be connected to the -ive on the cap?

cheers

Rob

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3308
Rob, you should read the manual on the amp and cap. They will explain it clearly on how to connect/install them.
In case you don't have the manuals, here's a quick instruction.
You will need an amp power wiring kit for your amps. Add up the total rms power of your amps and that is the amp wiring kit you will need.
It'll come with wires and inline fuse for the battery.
For the ground, you will need to make one under the back seat of your car. Drill a hole and sand the area where the wire will come in contact for good connection.
The ground wire should be kept to 18" or shorter. Run your power wires on opposite sides of the car from your rca cable.
To charge a cap, find a 12v light bulb and then connect it in series to the cap. That is, neg to neg on the cap, and put one end of light bulb on cap's pos and the other end to the pos on battery. Once the cap is fully charged, the light will go out. Be careful after that, you will get a big spark if you short the terminals.
I strongly urge you to do a search on google for installation. They have some good reading for beginners.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for that Isaac
dont suppose you have MSN? if you do and dont mind giving me a bit of your time can you email me your msn address to rob.mcneely@ntlworld.com

Would i be ok connecting up two amps through the Cap then?

thanks

Rob

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3310
Sorry, I don't have any chat programs. I had one long time ago before my computer crashed.
You can connect both amps to one cap as long as it's large enough for both. The rule of thumb is, 1F for every 1000w of peak power.
You might want to invest in a power distribution block for pos and ground. Makes it easier for hooking up multi amps.

Post Number: 3
cheers for that. Ill let you know how i get on mate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us