Whats the danger?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 213
Ok, I am looking into getting a slightly better alt for my car but I don't have the money right now. Right now my stock alt does i think around 80A. When I am driving and pound my subs sometimes the lights dim and some of the internal lights. What are some of the risks of this? It's not always a huge dimming but it can be pretty bad sometimes. I know a cap won't solve my problem. But will it take away some of the danger of this? Please let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 537
It should solve your problems for now. With the lights dimming and whatnot, it might be using power from the battery as the alt isn't providing enough. It could possibly lead to your battery being slightly more disccharged than normal-bordering on dead, but nothing serious as far as electrical goes.

It all depends on how bad the dimming is.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 215
What is the cheapest cap I can get for my system and where can I get it? My amp puts out 600 wrms. I probably only need a 1 farad cap.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
I'm fairly sure ebay sells RockfordFosgate caps pretty cheap.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 218
I have heard that all caps a basically the same, no matter the brand, kind of like wiring. So is it a big deal if I bought a cheap off-brand cap?

Silver Member

Post Number: 544
Well, it's true that they don't differentiate much between brands-name brand that is. Ultimately, getting at least a name brand will benefit you more than getting an off-brand. It's up to you.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 153
Upgrade the Big 3 first. It will most likely solve your problems, and it's cheaper.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801

It's something anyone with an audio system should do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
Yeah, good point, I hope he's willing to put the effort into it, heh.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 219
Thanks for the link Knack, it was very helpful. I will look into that.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7858
a capacitor won't do anything to help your problem.
save the money for a larger laternator. period.
the "big three" will really only help if you upgrade the alternator, or if your stock wiring is showing signs of age and wear. Otherwise the wire is already large enough to handle the stock alternator's peak output, which is all the current you're going to draw from the system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us