Grounding my amp

Username: Chain298

Post Number: 6
would i be better off grounding my amp through my capacitor, or would it be more efficient to ground them both separately, or would it even make a difference.

pretty much what's happening is that my alternator in my civic cant handle a 1200 watt class d amp(lights dimming, amp clipping, you know how it goes) and im trying to stay away from a HO alternator, so any suggestions would be helpful

Bronze Member
Username: Qup2cit

Australia

Post Number: 29
a second battery is the best option. run ur amp of a seperate battery, seperated by the first battery by an isolator and then ur amp wont take any power from you existing car circuits. then just ground eveything back to the battery

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 15
doesnt the alternator still have to charge both batteries? The cap is the best way to go here, and I would ground everything sepratly because you can never ground things too much.

Post Number: 7
i have a 1 farad cap hooked up to it and it's not doing anything. i even tried hooking up 2 of them so i would have 2 farads but the amp still clipped and the lights still went dim. i'll try grounding them separately and see what happens

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 314
A cap will not help you it will just take more from the alternator and adding a extra battery will not help unless you play it with the car off. When the car is running the amp works from the alternator not the battery. What size fuse does the amp have and how many amps does the alternator put out.

Post Number: 8
the amp has 5 30 amp fuses on it and the stock alternator is 70 amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 59
There's is no other way around getting an HO, esp for an amp that's capable of drawing twice as much power of what your alt. can produce.

Post Number: 9
i kinda figured that, but how big of an alternator should i get, the biggest one i've found so far is a 170 amp one on ebay. im not gonna be playing my music at full blast with the amp turned all the way up all the time, so would that one be big enough?

Bronze Member
Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 20
Just wondering....does a larget alt affect gas milage?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 345
wont be like a huge noticable diff but im sure it would affect it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us