Question on wiring...

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 238
Ok, I bought an Orion hcca 250. ill be running it at 1 ohm for 800rms. the amp has a 8awg power wire comming from it. I have a 4awg cable comming from my battery. Will this be a problem if I connect them? Should I get a 8awg from the batter? and is 8awg wiring even thick enough for 800rms? thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3252
Howie, Orion HCCA 250 has a 4 gauge power connector upgrade kit. The standard models came with 8 gauge and 30Ax2 fuse sizes.
For max power, put in 40A x 2 fuses and 4 gauge.
You will get more than 800w rms in your car. Probably close to 1000w.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
the wire is going into the amp, with no connector....do i need to take the plate off to do this or something? i'm quite confused, i think i'm in over my head with this amp. thanks man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3259
Oh, what model of HCCA amp do you have? Is it not the G4 model? If you have one of those 1st or 2nd generation of HCCA, I think they had direct power wires. In that case you probably will need a power distribution block.

Silver Member

Post Number: 241
the amp says hcca 250 digital reference. i guess i was confused and thought they were the same thing as the g4, obviously not. would it hurt to wire the 4awg from my battery to the 8awg of the amp until i get it right? and where are the fuses on this damn amp? thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3260
I don't think that model came with built in fuses. You will have to provide an external one.
Try and use a power distribution block to connect 4gauge to 8gauge.
Do not extend the 8 gauge wire, keep it as short as possible. That way it'll make up for the higher gauge.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
an external one? exactly how do i do that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3263
You can purchase fuse and holder from any audio store, including walmart. $15 or less.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
ahh all i need is a fuse holder...i have a distribution block, one without a place for fuses. so i can hook a fuse holder up to it as well. an 80amp fuse i'm sure...to simulate two 40amp fuses. correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3267
Correct. Double check the manuels I sent you. HCCA 250 might only support 50A fuse. It's not like the G4 (supports 80A).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us