I know you get this all the time, but need help with gain!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1964
I can't figure out how to set/make sure the gain is set right. I have the RF P8002, and I'm using the remote gain nob to controle the gain. I have the Pioneer Premeer 660 also. Any help would be apreatiated.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2016
?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3225
Taylor, are you sure it's a "remote" gain control? I know P8002 comes with remote bass control.
You should be able to set the gain/level on the amp like every other amp. Nothing special.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2024

Hmmm, I think I remember the guy who installed it saying that it was a nob to control the gain... but he prob didn't know what he was talking about!so, the nob I have on the dash... it doesn't really matter how much I have it turned up, and do you know where the gain and lp/hp and stuff like that is on the P8002, because it isn't on the frunt... I hope it isn't on the back of it because its mounted and I'd hate to unscrew it just to see if the place I had instaled did it right!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3226
If you don't see it, then it's probably on the other end. Check the manual.
The remote bass control does have some effect on gain setting. For example, if your gain/level is set for 4v, and you turn up the bass boost to max, it will behave as if you turned the gain higher. So yes it does have "some" effect. Just use it wisely.
Cheaper amps tend to overload and clip.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2025
Ok. When I turn the nob up... just a little even, I notice it pulls a lot more juice, and getts extremely hot. Is this normal... I just don't want to fu*k my amp up... it wasn't that cheap!:-)
On that note, I know that mhy subs say that they are 4 ohm dvc, but more than likely there running a little lower than that... because of the way my amp gets so hot. Is there something I can do, or do you think I should just give RF a call and see what they say about my amp geting so hot. I just got through listening to it... and I was playing with the nob and I couldn't even stand to tutch it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3229
You might want to check the gain/level control first before using the bass boost. Once you know it's set properly, then raising the boost a little shouldn't overload the amp.
As for the heat, that RF amp is either poorly designed or it's trying to compete with Sony being the "hottest" amp.
If you have DMM, measure the subs to make sure you're not exceeding the minimum ohm requirements.
There was a reason why I never bought that amp.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2026
Lol, I'm starting to wish I didn't buy it either!
This gain sh1t is driving me crazy!
Ok... I found the gain... its on the bottom of the amp where it's a paine in the a$$ to get to, but I messed with it. I turned it untill the bass was as loud as it would go, because any where lower than that doesn't produce much bass! I have all the controls in my HU turned all the way up even... and the only way to get any boom out of my subs is to have the gain like that! My subs are only supposed to be under powered by 100 watts, so I wouldn't think that would make that much difference! Is my amp just not putting out enough power?
P.s, I don't have a dmm.
Sorry for asking such stupid questions but I'm starting to get frustrated.
BTW, when the gain is turned all the way down, there shouldn't be much bass, then when it's up, there should be the most bass right?
Thanks agen for all the help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3234
Whoa, you're playing with danger. HU will most likely distort/clip when set to max.
The gain/level on your amp should be set around mid level for 4v. Most HUs are 4v. If yours is different, then adjust it accordingly.
You mentioned that you set the gain to max? If so, you are overloading the amp.
Set it properly and use the bass boost instead. There's a good chance the amp will blow if pushed to the limit with incorrect setting.
Bass will sound louder with the gain "open" than closed (min). The only problem is, if you're sending 4v or higher and the amp's expecting 200mv, then it will overload and burn out. It could even take out your subs by clipping.
The purpose of the gain is to "match" your amp's input with HU's preout voltage so that "x" volts in will produce "x" max power without distorting/clipping.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2032
My HUs voltage is 2, so is that what you are talking about matching the gain with? I should set the gain to 2V right?
I still can't figure out why the gain has to be turned all the way up to get any bass... it's like my amp isn't pushing hard enough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3235
Yes, if your HU is 2v, then set the gain on the amp to 2v.
What is the sub configuration? How many subs do you have? I know you mentioned 4ohms DVC. So if you had 2 in parallel, you'd be giving 1ohm to the amp. I don't think RF is 1 ohm stable.

Username: Skimskunk

Post Number: 6
i ahve the same problem with my rf t5002... i have to have the gain all the way up, and f**k if i'm doing that... any suggestions?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2033
Well, I have 2 HX2's rated at 500 watts each. There wired to 2 ohms each... and no, bridged it's only stable at 4 ohms, and unbridged, each channall is 2 ohm stable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3237
Taylor17, why didn't you bridge the amp? Since both of your subs are 4ohms DVC, when wired in parallel, each sub will be 2ohms. Then wire those in series for 4ohms total. Now you'd be getting 800w from the amp.
Then maybe you will get enough bass with proper gain setting.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 230
since this post is on the subject. my hu puts out 4 volts and my new amp has gain but no numbers. how am i suppose to match it, by my ears or a meter and if meter how do i use it?

Bronze Member
Username: Darkseid

Post Number: 57
bassfishing-do you have the manual for the amp? They'll have the specs for input loads in there.

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
On the p8002 take off the bottom chrome plate. The controls are under there. You trying to push a sub by the remoted knob cause the games prolly all the way down on the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3239
Bassfishing most amps nowdays support 8v. So for your 4v HU, put the gain half way.
Sure there are some that go as high as 12v or more, but those amps cost a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 231
isacc the amp is an xtant a600.1 or a6001

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2036
Isaac, my amp is a 2 channel, and it puts 400 watts rms x 2 at 2 ohms. If I have each sub wired to 2 ohms, 1 to each channe, I'd still be getting 400 watts to each sub. When bridged, I'd get 800 watts x 1 at 4 ohms... either way I'm getting 400 watts to each. Right?

P.s, I had all of this installed about 7/8 months ago, and I'm not for sure how they wired it... thats just me guessing how they wired it, 1 sub to each channel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3246
Taylor17, you never know. You can never be sure how each installer will react/think.
Since you're driving subs, I'd bridge the amp and run both subs at 4ohm mono mode. That way, you know both subs will be getting identical signal.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 2042
Thanks agen for all the help... you prob just saved me a little cash.:-)
This should be my last stupid question.
How can I tell, or do this? Make sure the subs are wired in paralel/series... right? and is there a way to turn my amp to stiriow, or mono?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3247
It'll be much easier if you had a DMM. You can get one for $10 at Radio Shack. With that, you can measure the subs without taking it appart. If you get a reading of 2ohms, then you know the DVCs are wired in parallel.
Without it, you will need to open up the sub box and inspect each sub's VCs. If you see pos to pos and neg to neg, then it's in parallel.
If both subs are in parallel, then all you have to do is take one of the pos from 1 sub and connect it to the neg on the 2nd sub. Now you will get 4ohms total (series).
On the amp, there should be some kind of marking that states which speaker terminals to use for bridged mode. It's that simple.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us