Stock speaker input to amp

Username: Bobbarker241

New britain, Ct United states

Post Number: 3
Hey,
I'm completely new to car audio and am installing an amp for the first time. My question to you guys (geniuses!), is about hooking the amp up from an existing speaker input. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm using a stock head unit (didnt want to downgrade from a 6 cd in dash changer), and I want to start off by only having the amp power the sub and not the rest of the speakers. My amp has high level inputs which I believe is what I want the wire from the speaker to be connected to. Do I only need to tap into one existing speaker input, and is this method of wiring up my amp acceptable? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Post Number: 4
I also meant to ask about turning on and off the amp. Do I still need to wire from the head units turn on lead in order for the amp to power on and off with the radio? Is there an easier/better way to do this? Thanks again for your help

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 236
What amp and sub do you have?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 257
The wires from the high level input go to the rear right and left speaker wires. You can skin the wires and twist the high level input wires around the skinned speaker wires. Then tape it good. Most amps when you use the high level input it turns the amp on and off with the head. Only speaker or subs hooked to the amp will work. So the other speaker in your car will be power from the head unit.

Post Number: 5
Kicker kx700.5 985 watt max power amp
Clarion sw12x 600 w 12" is the sub im pushing

the speakers im tapping into are just the stock ford speakers

Post Number: 6
I actually have another question. How do I determine whether to have the high pass of the high level input on the amp set to 70Hz or 110Hz?

p.s. sorry for all the annoying questions, and thank you for your patience
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us