Boat sound installation assistance

Username: Afeica

ELGIN, ILLINOIS USA

Post Number: 1
Can anyone help me, i have just finished putting in new speakers, LCD TV, amp and stereo into my sailboat. The speakers all connect to a box that allows me to shose what combinnations I want on at any given time (5 pairs). And the stereo, TV and DVD all connect to another selector box that allows me to select the active componet.
The problem is the loud hummming I hear when my 12 volt refrigeration systems is running. I have placed noise filters on the amp, stereo, and 2 on the ref unit with some success, but there is still alot of noise remaining. There is even a hum when both the stereo and the DVD are off.
The only time there is no noise is when the component selector swithch is on an open button (not connected to anything)

I have run new wires, new noise filters, new speakers, new stereo, new DVD, the noise remains......HELP if you can

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3161
David, try getting a portable cd player and hook it up to the amp's rca input using the headphone jack. Turn the volume down to min, and then slowly raise it till you hear sound. See if there's any distortion/humming.
If it's clean, then it's the input cables that's causing the problem.
Before you route the rca cables inside the boat, try having it run directly to the amp out in the open. See if you get clean sound. If you do, then try placing part of the wire where it's suppose to be installed. Repeat till the sound/hum gets picked up. You should be able to find the problem.

ELGIN, ILLINOIS USA

Post Number: 2
thanks, I'll try that this week end, do you think I need to get shielded cable? or will the regular speaker wires be ok?

ELGIN, ILLINOIS USA

Post Number: 3
oops, sorry, additional info, the run is about 22 feet and goes through the bilge (dry) but also runs near (out of necessity) wires that go to various sailing instruments and other speaker wires.

Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us