Battery charger to amp!

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 166
i want to hook up my old sub/amp to my receiver for my home theater system, its a RF punch level 3, and a 350rms apline amp, with a 40 amp fuse. I got my freind to bring his battery charger over, it was only a 10 amp charger, and it made the sub hit harder than my current home theater sub, but if we turned it up , it would shut off becuase it would try to draw more than 10 amps. Is there an easier way for me to do this? here are the options i am thinking of:
1. 10 amp charger with car battery, wire it to battery, always keep battery plugged in
2. 40 amp charger (~$120), just run it straight from the charger
which one would be better? the 10 amp charger and battery would be cheaper, but i fear i would have to replace the battery frequently, and it wouldnt stay charged when i use it alot.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1383
If you're serious about using that sub for home theater save yourself the headache and buy one of these instead:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGrou p_ID=505&SO=2

Car batteries vent some nasty gases when charged or discharged rapidly so can be very dangerous in an enclosed home enviroment. If in the future you plan on benching car audio equipment then a 40 amp power supply might be a good idea, otherwise I'd go with a plate amp. It may cost you slightly more than a ghetto charger, but would be significantly less than a good 40 amp power supply.

A plate amp would probably sound much better than that Alpine as well.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
i have never seen those before, thats awesome, im going to get one, i need close to 300rms @ 2 ohms. None of these are 2 ohm stable, the sub is dual 4 ohm coils, where can i get a 2 ohm stable one?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1387
I assume that sub is dual 4 ohm. Just run the voice coils in series for an 8 ohm load.

I've got a 100 watt 10" Velodyne that corner loaded shakes picture frames on the walls of my garage apartment. You shouldn't need any more than 200 watts to get good output.

What powered sub do you have now?

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3873
fishy, if i wanted to, i have a battery chager in my garage, the charger, its gotl ike 2 jumper cables on it to go to a battery, any chance i could use this?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1388
This would probably work just fine, especially if your enclosure is ported.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-796

Check ebay too. You might find find a cheap DJ amp with a built in xover. Of course if your reciever already has a low pass on its sub outs you won't need a crossover.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1389
i have a battery chager in my garage, the charger, its gotl ike 2 jumper cables on it to go to a battery, any chance i could use this?

Unless you use a stiffening cap or a battery as well you might get a substantial amount of ripple voltage. This might add noise and probably wouldn't be good for the amp either.

I ran a SS Class A 50II for a center channel amp on my old ghetto HT. I used a small 12v 7 amphr gel cell with a battery charger hooked up on the 2 amp setting. I didn't get noise even w/o the battery but that lil amp was designed well. Unfortunately I forgot to unhook the battery charger a couple times and ending up cooking the battery. Gel cells don't take to high charge rates very well.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
nevermind, im just going to sell my RF sub and the alpine amp to my freind for $250, im going to get the amp that puts out 273rms @ 4 ohms, and im getting a kicker comp CVR dual 2 ohm brand new off ebay for $70 shipped. I think it will provide plenty of bass for my home theater system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
my current powered sub is a pos probaly about 20watts rms. I have the cambrdige sound works gigaworks 5.1 surround sound system, but the powered subwoofer that also powered all the satellete speakers broke, and i sent back the sub, they sent me a brand new in box 7.1 system with all the speakers and sub, i sold it for $350 to my friend. Now the 5 speakers are hooked up to my receiver and i need a good woofer to accompany them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us