I have some questions

Username: 99ctlsowner

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 6
How do i tell what ohms i'm runnning? I don't know too much about amps and subs, i just hooked it up and it works. But now it's not workin. It's not the amp it claims it is and that makes it hard to find out what kind of problems it could be having. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3066
Every amp has minimum ohm requirements. If you exceed that, then it'll start to break down.
Most car speakers are 4ohms. The subs come in SVC or DVC configuration. With DVC, it's like having 2 SVC subs. So instead of being 4ohms, it'll either be 8ohms or 2ohms. If you only see 1 pair of pos and neg, then it's SVC.
Connecting subs in parallel will drop the ohms by half. In series, it doubles.

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 7
I don't even know that much about this stuff. SVC? DVC? my amp is hooked up to 2 subs, here is a pic of the configuration........Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3070
If you can, zoom in closer to the wire connectors. Can't see the markings on them. What is the model/brand of the amp?
What kind of subs do you have? List brand and model.
From the picture, it looks like a Kenwood amp. Could it be a 4 channel amp that you're using? There seem to be 4 pairs of connectors.

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 8
It says it's a 1000w Kenwood kac8401, but the body looks like the 7201 and the connecters are reversed. i have 2 900watt max xplod subs, not the sony ones. it's a 4 ch amp here are some more pix of it Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3072
Okay, so it is a 4 channel amp. I can't see the lpf and gain setting on your 2nd picture. Can you zoom in closer for the rear section?
What is the amp doing now? Does it power up at all? Can you tell me the min and max numbers for the gain control? It should be listed on the manual.
If your rear channels are blown, you still have the fronts.

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 9
It has power the entire time, it will put out sound for a second then stop putting out sound. then every minute or so it will put out sound for another second. it didn't come w/ a manual because it's not the 8401 so idk the spex on itUpload

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 10
Same thing happens with both channels, i have the gain, lpf, and hpf all set the same. it will play right when i turn it on for a second then only plays every once in a while for another second. it hits hard when it plays for the second....any ideas?

nicksq
Unregistered guest
turn the gain ,lpf,hpf all the way down to the left and turn on your head unit to somewhere a little over half way or before you start hearing disortion. then go to the amp and slowly turn the gain upto less than half way then turn your low pass to a little to the right do the same with high pass. the gain should match your hu preamp voltage

Bronze Member

San diego, Ca

Post Number: 11
Would that affect it now, cuz i set it up when i got it a few months ago and it just started acting up 4 days ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us