Amp is cutting out... not enough power?

Username: Watsausername

Post Number: 3
I have a 15 inch Orion sub hooked up to my Rockford Fosgate P3002 amp. Sometimes the amp will work fine and sometimes it will turn off and it wont want to come back on. Im pretty sure the amp is way underpowered for that sub but is there any way I can make it work? Also I have only had the amp hooked up for a few days so its not like I'v been abusing the crap out of it for a long time. If I have to get a new amp I only have about $150 im willing to spend. Would an Audiobahn A8002T amp push that sub good enough?
Thanks,
~Kevin

Post Number: 4
Anyone???

Username: Cch1789

KsUsa

Post Number: 1
probably have same problem have a kenwood kac-729s
had it hooked up to 3 10'in jensen's & now 2 10'in pinnoers and it cuts out only if it is bridged

my targa hx-2ch 700 watt amp has run both sets
when i hooked up 1 15'in kicker comp & the 2 10'in pinniors then it started to trip

so my ? is what is going on with my amps

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 220
they don't like you, they are on strike.

Post Number: 5
I think thats my problem too... Damn amps!!!

Username: Themoe

Post Number: 1
If it cuts out completely there is probably a problem with the power supply to the amp. First I would check your ground connection. This is something people often overlook. A poor ground connection can come loose or not provide an addequate completion of the circuit. To make a good ground connection make sure you sand the body at the point where you are making the connection. Then either using a ring terminal or a ground terminal attach the ground cable to the body, make sure you use a sheet metal screw that will hold or actually bolt it to the body. If that is not your problem check your power cable. If this is not your problem check your remote wire, make sure this is connected well to the head unit and also connected well to the amplifier. If none of these power connections are your problem it could also be the signal connection you made from your headunit (the RCA cables) check these as well. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Shutterleftopen

Columbus, Ohio United states

Post Number: 49
i have this same problem. i have 2 MTX 12's powered by a 1000w max cyclone amp. i've checked my ground and everything's fine...do you think it could possibly be that the amp is getting too hot and shuts off? the subs are way underpowered. so a friend of mine told me that it's probably just that the amp is heating up very quickly and shuts itself off. when the amp shuts off i turn off my HU, then a few minutes later i'll turn it on and the amp will be on again.

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
All you people are blind. Your amp can only handle down to a certain impedance (ohms) You are likely driving your amp into a 2 or 1 ohm load bridged or whatever. Check the wiring on ur subs and the minimum impedance of your amps. It does not matter if the sub is 5000 watts and the amp is 50 watts if it is wired properly it should not hurt the amp (if you dont drive it into distortion)

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all your help it turned out to be my ghetto ground wire but its all better now... Time to sell my truck while it still works!!! lol

~Kevin

Post Number: 3
No problem, just look for the simplest solution to the problem, most of the time thats it. And yes, often wrong impedence matched amplifier/speaker combinations can blow an amp. The power transistors are matched to work only with a certain load efficiently and properly, if you drop the impedence too low you can be inducing too much current in the transistors and blow the whole amp.

Dingleberry
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem with my 12" RF Punch HE in ported bandpass powered by Xtant a3001 amp. They will work fine sometimes or only work if you turn them way up and mess with the settings. I have tried everything from replaceing all wires to changing out HU's!! The only thing i could see a problem is running 8 gauge instead of the specified 4 gauge. Could this cause a lack of power to the amp because i know Xtant amps will shut off if they fall under certain voltage. Also when they are working as soon as i adjust any setting on the amp they shut off or could it be set up for the wrong ohm. I am out of ideas, please help.

Post Number: 4
It could be that your speakers arent properly impedance matched to your amplifier. It appears that these speakers have single 4 ohm voice coils, so the ideal way to hook these up would be in parallel; that is hooking both speakers positive terminals to the amps positive connection and likewise with the negative connection. If your speakers are hooked up improperly your amplifier may have an overcurrent protecting circuit that is shutting off the amplifier. Although, since when you turn the gains up it works it seems as though as you just have a broken amplifier.

Dingleberry
Unregistered guest
The speaker has only 1 positive connection with 2 tabs, so your saying hook the both positives to each tab? Also there is only 1 input into the sub enclosure, so do you just run a positive from each output to the sun enclosure then 2 wires to each of the tabs? Likewise the negative coneections of course. I ready to try anything. Thanks

Post Number: 5
What are the exact model numbers of the speakers, im a bit confused, are they dual voice coil or single voice coil? are these two tabs your talking about electrically connected (just two there to make it easier to wire) or are they for two voice coils?

Unregistered guest
I'm having a problem like that also. i have 4 12''highfonic
subs in 2seperate enclosers and a 2300 watt sound streem amplifier hooked to it and 4guage power ground and 12 in remote and every time it hits really hard it clipps off and on and when i look at my batt guage it jumps up and down and i was wondering how i could hook up some sort of extra power source or something like that well i would like to have a suggestion or 2 if it isn't no prob.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us