Bad amp or subs?

UCF_Shawn
Unregistered guest
I went to local car meet this weekend. I have a Kicker KX1200.1 and 2 Kicker CompVR 15" subs. Anyway, a lot of people there had audio gear, so I played mine. Easily a lot louder/harder then theirs. I played most of Lil John's Kings of Crunk CD for the at like 8 (out of 11) on the bass control knob with full volume at the stock head unit. So after like 40 mins, I head out and hear a loud whine coming from the subs in the trunk when I turn the head unit down and left the control knob up. Its not an variable whine like from an alternator, a consistent one. I thought I might have damaged the subs so I leave the system off for the rest of the night.

Today, heading to school (UCF) I start the car, turn the radio up a bit and turn the control knob up slowly. It plays fine till I got to like 4 or 5 on the knob then it started whining again. I get out, look at the subs and they're slowly oscilating up and down.

Should the amp gone into protection to prevent damage to itself? It which point I would have turned it down. Also, I really don't think its the subs because they're doing everything evenly and I think one sub would have been damaged before the other, right? Also the amp was pretty hot when I felt it today, but I dunno if that's because of Florida heat and being in the trunk.

Any ideas are greatly appreacaited.

Shawn

UCF_Shawn
Unregistered guest
Nevermine, its was the Bass Boost control knob on the amp, not the remote knob was talking about above.

Apparently when I played it loud for 40mins, I had the amp cover on unproperly smashing the control knob against the amp cover. As soon as I took the cover off it played fine. I was like okay, what's grounded out on the cover. Then I hit the knob with my pinky and the whole system frizzits. It slamed as hard as it ever had. Needless to say, I jump across the 100ft parking lot. I donked the knob 2 more times to make sure.

Thanks my systems still fine, just becare with your amp cover!!

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 310
I'm glad you figured it out...heh heh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us