Too much power a bad thing??

Anonymous

if i'm powering 2 JL 10w3's (500 rms coombined).. would it be super dangerous to use an mono amp that is say 100-300 more watts rms?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 278
You might be able to adjust the gain a bit so they don't drive into clipping as fast and maybe turn down the output volume on the headunit.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 83
can't say it enough, rms+50%, set gains accordingly. if you have too little power you often tend to crank up the volume to try to compensate and push clipped signals (loud, but distorted). if you run rms+50% you have room to drive your subs where they will sound full and strong without having to turn the volume all the way up.
further, jl is extra modest about their rms ratings. you will be better off with your suggestion. just remember to set the gains as jex said.

Bronze Member
Username: Zero43

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 16
I was wondering about the same thing.
I have a MTX 9515d 1000rms and was thinking about getting an Orion 2500d to run at 2 ohms which the state is 1700 rms I believe. Would you reccomend any other amp above 1000 rms that would be good as good or better to use. Also how would I know if i was pushing the sub too hard.

Oh and another thing could voltage drop cause clipping.

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 96
listen. if you hear distortion, turn down the gain. feel the sub, if it runs hot..., and smell the air. if it smells odd (pungent)..., but the best tool to use would be your ears.
that amp would work perfect. you would actually have to run it at 4ohms though as your sub is 2ohms. but 1200 watts would be plenty.
under what circumstances are you referring to voltage dropping?

Eric Knox
Unregistered guest
I have 2 JL 12 w3v2, which are 300 RMS a peice... and im not sure how many watts the amp should have that i should get... any recommended amps for the two JL's?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 144
if the ohm's match up a kicker kx 600.1 would work good

Bronze Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 19
I dont quite understand what you mean by running it at 4 ohms.... I only have two choices because it is a dual 4. There were a couple times when I though I smelled something funny but there was road construction going on with all sorts of crap they were using which is now stuck to my jeep..

My cap and my car charging system guage on the dash would drop whenever I turned it up. I really never heard any distortion as far as I could tell. The only sound that did bother me was when I turned it up with the crossover set at 100hz and it would move faster than it should probably be doing.

Another question would anyone happen to know why when I wire my sub in reverse it sounds louder\better. I am using the sledgehammer box which by the way probably isnt of the best quality. When I had them wired right, the screws that are holding the sub to the box started to come out.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 106
then you must have a 9515A. the 9515D is dual 2ohm vc. so maybe you have them wired wrong? if you have a smaller car (as opposed to a 135 amp suv) you could have a charging system problem b/c of the load you are placing on your alternator/battery. a cap could help, but if it is a financial option you would fair better by getting an alternator.

if you mean by reverse your wiring, you are reversing the phase, it is often the case (depending on the characteristics of a car) that this will have an effect on your listening experience. basically it is altering the time it takes for the bass to reach your ears w/regard to the other drivers in your sytem.

Eric Knox
Unregistered guest
anyone know any good amps for 2 jl 12w3v2 subs? 300 rms a peice

Eric Knox
Unregistered guest
anyone know any good amps for 2 jl 12w3v2 subs? 300 rms a peice

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 110
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=049RAA2400&g=110 &search=mb+quart&SearchDisplay=MB+Quart

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=049RAA1000&g=130 &search=mb+quart&SearchDisplay=MB+Quart

which one depends on how the subs are wired (2, 4, 6 ohm)

Bronze Member

Kyle, TX USA

Post Number: 20
I have a jeep cherokee but I dont know what size alternator it has. Ive tried to look it it up but no luck.

The 9515 only come in single 4 or dual four. I even pulled the the internal speaker wires to check the phase. The only thing is I cant get the sub out of the box. It feels like it is sealed in with an adhesive.

Heres a question for an expert. What would cause a sub to move forward less when wired in phase

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 119
"The 9515 only come in single 4 or dual four."
It seems that you have the sledgehammer 9515. they vary http://mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/sledgeHammerT9515D.cfm
vs
http://mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/sledgeHammerT9515A.cfm

that might or might not have something to do with your wiring, but i'm not sure as to your last stated problem. havn't experienced that before.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us