MONO amp Question....

Bronze Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 29
if a mono amp can be running to two subs then why is it called a MONO amp and are they all like that or just some?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3007
It's called mono amp cause it only has 1 channel. You can have 2 or more subs attachted to it, but it's still mono signal.

Username: Dad1

MUSCLE SHOALS, AL

Post Number: 3
HOW DO YOU RUN THE 2 SUBS TO SOUND THE BEST.

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 208
let me look for a link i will be right back

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 209
Here try this link
http://www.audiobahn.com/frame2004.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
that page doesnt help

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3125
well in order to wire up two subs to sound the best you have to know the impedence of the subs voice coil/coils. Once you have that you find out if you want ot run it parellell/parellell or series/parellell dependng on the load your amp can handle. what subs are you trying to run and what is the ohms value of their voice coils? are they dual or single coils?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ill be running the alpine type R that are dual 4 ohm voic coils. what is the difference between parellel/parellel and series/parellel

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3139
ok if you are running two alpine type r dual 4ohm subs you can wire them at either 4ohms series/parellell, or 1 ohm parellell/parellell. Now if your amp is 1 ohm mono stable you are all set but if not then you must find an amp that is 1000 watts at 4ohms. You are running two of them right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
yea im running two of them, and since their RMS is 600 watts i was thinking about going with the hifonics 1200watt mono class d amp is this a good amp or are their any better ones for around the same price? thanks for helping me out man.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3148
I would get a kicker 1200.1 and run it at 1ohm but I thought the rms of the typre r's was 500 not 600.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
your right my had it is 500 so the kicker is better than hifonics? and if so should i get a 4 channel kicker to power my speakers to keep the brands the same? and as far as ohms go why would anyone run an amp at 4 ohms if they can get more power out of it at 2 or 1 ohm? is it better sound quality at 4 ohm? otherwise it wouldnt make sense to me to run it at 4 ohm with less power.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3150
the lower the resistence(ohms) the greater the THD(total harmonic distortion) also the hotter the amp runs with greater chances of clipping. I would run the JL amp with those subs at 4ohms the kicker is underrated so it really puts out somewhere around 1450 watts so that is too much for those subs. Hifonics is not good I would not recomend them. Is the JL 1000/1 an option for you or were you just using it as a example?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
no, there is no way that i could afford an amp like that i am looking for a good amp for under 300 that would power then fine, thanks for clearing up the ohms thing for me. any other brands besides kicker or should i go with that over hifonics?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us