How to install capacitor

WC
Unregistered guest
Do you strip the power line that goes from the battery to the amp and connect it from there, or do you connect it to the amp power input?

Bronze Member
Username: Zootreeves

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 19
Connect the + to the + terminal on the capacitor and then take another wire from the capacitor to the + on the amp. Then just ground the earth by bolting it to the car's frame.

Whatever you DO NOT just connect without first charging it with a resistor or a pencil lead or something with a high resistance.

Thats how i've done it anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2999
Use a 12v light bulb. Works in seconds and you know when it's fully charged by the light. It will go out.

WC
Unregistered guest
So capacitor are not charged when you buy them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3006
No.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 444
No, you charge them with your battery.
I wouldn't want to be playing with a charged 1F capacitor in the mail lol.
Anyway, make sure, like Ben said, DO NOT straight connect it without pre charging first. You'll get a massive spark.

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea aight I got it, I amp pretty sure the cap that I am getting comes with a charger card.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1310
mine came with a light bulb

WC
Unregistered guest
So its like this, the power wire that usually goes from the car battery to the amp goes directly to the capacitor, then from the cap to the sub.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1313
You can hook the cap's positive to a positive source anywhere in the car and likewise with the ground, but the closer to the amp the better. Just think of it of a very small, high current, variable voltage battery. In other words it needs to be hooked up in parallel to your battery/alternator.

The ideal situation would be to hook its positive and negative terminals to the amp's like terminals with very short and very thick runs of wire.

-Fishy

allende5
Unregistered guest
I never did understand the instructions that came with my cap. I didn't understand the thing with the light bulb. I ended up just connecting the darn thing directly to the battery line and got a spark. Not a huge spark, but a spark nonetheless. From there, I just completed the install and started using it.

So, what exactly are you supposed to do with the light bulb? What's the reason for using it?

I'll be discharging my cap and making some changes to my system this weekend and would like to reconnect it properly.

WC
Unregistered guest
So does the capacitor have to be standing up, or can I lay it down? Does it matter, can I have it upside down?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 315
it shouldnt matter.. just make sure your not arcing the terminals with anything

WC
Unregistered guest
So when I charge it, I should ground it first then charge it?

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 153
after its chargd, does it have to be recharged later for any reason?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1320
If you disconnect a battery terminal the the cap will discharge through anything that is "on" in your vehicle like dome or hood lights. When I disconnect a battery terminal to work on stuff I simply place the light bulb between the power wire and battery post before reconnecting things. If you don't you run the risk of blowing your inline fuse or possibly welding your power wire to the battery post if you've got a really large fuse installed.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 3013
The light bulb is for charging the capacitor. Connect the neg to ground on capacitor, then attach the light bulb between the pos on the battery and pos on the capacitor. It will turn on, but as soon as the cap is fully charged, it'll go out.
Best and safe way of charging.

WC
Unregistered guest
So I can charge it without grounding it.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1325
No, unless you consider grounding it through the light bulb "not grounding it". Its not that hard. Positive to positive, negative to negative, with the light bulb somewhere in series in the circuit. Doesn't matter whether you put it in between the negatives or positives as long as its IN BETWEEN.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us