2 channel amp - 4 speakers?

reedj24
Unregistered guest
Is there any problem with hooking up 4 speakers into a 2 channel amp (ie: 2 speakers hooked up to each channel)

thanks for the help

allende5
Unregistered guest
This would depend on your amps ability to handle the load. The load would depend on what ohm rating the speakers are and how you wire them.

Two 4ohm speakers wired in parrallel (positive & positive, negative & negative) will provide a 2ohm load. Your amp will need to be able to handle the lower resistance. If it cannot, it may overheat.

If you wire your speakers in series (positive, negative --> positive, negative), you now have an 8ohm load. Your amp should be able to handle an 8 ohm load, however it would decrease your amps output wattage by half.

What make and model amp will you be using. Also, what speakers?

reedj24
Unregistered guest
Well, the amp is a Sony Xplod 222W here's some specs:

Max power output: 100W x2 @ 4OHMS
Max power output: 222W x 1 @ 4OHMS
Rated Power Output 2ch: 35W x 2 RMS @ 4OHMS
Rated Power Output: 80w x 1 @ 4OHMS
Low pass filter (80Hz, 12dB - oct)

The speakers are Sony Xplod XS-R6910 6x9's (180W max)

I am using these for a strange project. I am trying to build a cooler stereo for a river float trip. The cooler will be floating in a tube with a car battery to power the amp and an ipod for the music source.

I'm going to mount the speakers into the sides of the cooler, amp on bottom of lid, and battery in the bottom of cooler. Obviously sealing the speakers with either silicone or caulk, and using frozen gel packs in the cooler to help keep the amp and batter cool when the lid has to be closed.

I know this is a weird project, but that's my goal and the reason I'm not using higher quality components - just what I have on hand.

If the amp can't handle pushing all 4 6x9's I'll probably just stick to 2, or maybe find a 4 channel.

Sorry so long winded, but thanks for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1277
Have you tried your ipod hooked up directly to that amp yet? You need to make sure that it can provide enough voltage to drive the amp's inputs.

I'd also make sure you vent the cooler especialy if you plan on charging the battery with the lid closed. Battery fumes in an enclosed space like that can lead to an explosive result.

http://www.twcc.state.tx.us/information/videoresources/t5_battery_safety.pdf

That amp should work fine 2 ohm stereo, but hooking the speakers up in series might be a better option. You won't get as much volume but your battery may last up to 4 times as long which might be a good thing if its an extended float trip. Test it out and see how it sounds. If its loud enough with an 8 ohm stereo load I'd go that route.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1278
Oh btw, sound carries quite well over water.

:-)

-Fishy

allende5
Unregistered guest
That is a strange project. =)

I agree, it doesn't sound like you're looking for high output, and your amp is not rated for a 2ohm load, so Fishy's suggestion seems best.

reedj24
Unregistered guest
Thank you very much for the replies!!

The float is about 7 hours long, so I'm not going to charge it while it's on the water, but will probably vent it anyway. And maybe bring a backup batter, depending on weight at that point. I think it should last that long since it will only be powering the amp. I've seen one kinda similar before that lasted that long w/out continuous charge.

I'm going to try to build it this weekend, so I'll see how it works out :-) I'll try it in series first, but if the sound isn't enough I'll probably hook it up in parallel.

If you guys have any other advice or opinions for me before I get started I would definitely appreciate the help. Hopefully it all works out as planned.

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 25
You should post picutures when done... i would like to see this... sounds pretty cool

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1295
Most deep cycle batteries are rated at 80 amphrs or so. If that amp draws on average say 10 amps(a constant 80 watt output @ 2 ohms)then the battery should last close to 8 hours. If you utilize a typical starting battery it'd do a lot less and may become damaged if fully discharged.

If you went 8 ohms(~35 watts) that amp would draw about half that which should give you plenty of play time even with a starting battery.

Of course if you don't constantly crank the thing you'd draw a lot less power.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us