Want to improve my system

Bronze Member
Username: L25

Post Number: 16
This is my first car stereo. Sounds great but I want it to kick harder, it shuts off at high volume with alot of bass. My amp gains are set very low (2). Sub amp base boost set to zero, controled by remote bass level. What is the weak link? Can anyone give suggestions to improve this?

Thanks, Jeff

Here are my specs:
1999 tacoma shortbed pickup

HU Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP

Kicker KX550.3
@ 13.8V, 2U Mono, 1.5% THD 400 x 1 400 x 1
Dynamic Power
In Watts, All Channels Driven
@ 14.4V, 4U Stereo 70 x 2 70 x 4
@ 14.4V, 2U Stereo 80 x 2 80 x 4
@ 14.4V, 4U Mono 165 x 2
SUB Power
In Watts, All Channels Driven
@ 14.4V, 2U Mono 420 x 1 420 x 1

MTX 10" Thunderform 4500 non amplified
Power Handling: 225 Watts RMS*
Sensitivity: 87dB*
Enclosure Volume: 1 cubic foot
Impedance: 4 Ohm*

CDT Audio CL-51 5-1/4" component with SatNet 456a Xover and Image enhance tweeters 80 watt RMS

AudioFreq
Unregistered guest
Weak links...
for one, the speaker you can gain 6-10 db overall very easily buy purchasing a better and more efficient sub.

If you want it to kick harder... there ya go.

Get a larger alternator.
Add a stiffening capacitor 1 farad and a battery isolater with secondary battery.
This should prevent a lot of the shut downs if the gain is correct.

http://www.allexperts.com/displayexpert.asp?Expert=63518

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Use a multimeter and test the load impedance (in ohms) on the sub. It may or may not be too low. I have no idea how you have the amp wired so its hard to help...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Are you suggesting I replace the sub with a better 10" and put it in the same thunderform enclosure? There is no room in the truck cab. JL makes a better custom sub enclosure for my truck.

I have not noticed my lights dimming.

Jeff

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 150
Lol 2nd battery.You dont need one. I dont see enough power being used here. A 1 farad cap is always a good idea. .5 is a waste of money since a 1 farad only like 30$ more and you would get twice the product. Use 8 g wiring or 4 g if you want to run bigger amp. Good high end rca cables. High end speaker cable. (I use monster cable). Careful with the deck, Ive had bad experiences with multiple pioneers. Other than that its chill.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I am using KnuKonceptz 4Ga battery and ground cables, 12 Ga speaKer and RCA Kable, overkill for my setup.

So either my sub is not up to the task or my alternator, or both, but what are my options in this teeny cab? I might have room for another custom sub enclosure behind the passenger seat, but it would be even smaller than my thunderform. Being a complete idiot, can anyone suggest an appropriate alternator? (reread my first post for details.)

Thanks,

Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 395
Make sure you have good ground connects and power. and make sure the load on the amp isn't too much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us