Car amp shuts off after XM install

Username: Icechunk

Post Number: 2
Ever since I had a XM receiver put in my car, my amp has been acting up. For one, its shuts off when I crank it up. This happens at higher volumes but I was able to go that high earlier without an issue. I have a XM receiver that is wired in the trunk and connected to my CD changer and not to the amp (thats what the installer told me). I wonder what the problem could be, its not getting hot because this problem happens even when i have just started my car. Help!!!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1477
alternator probably isn't beefy enough to handle the amplifier(s)
time to upgrade the alternator.
the stock one is probably getting ready to die, and just happened to coincide with your upgrade to XM.

Username: Icechunk

Post Number: 3
thanks for the advice Glasswolf...the XM might have benn the point where it gets "too much" for the alternator to handle. But I never have problems with dimming lights etc...should I wait till the alternator dies or should I upgrade before that happens and I am stuck on the road.

nightlife
Unregistered guest
if u have the money, you should just get a new alternator. this would be a lot better than having to pay a tow bill and anyway.. im shure you want to listen to the stereo

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1494
well, the XM unit itself doesn't draw much current at all I'd think. It's just a radio in essence.
the amplifiers are the current hogs.
you can have your alternator checked at any AutoZone type store.
just take it in and ask them to test if it's good, and have them do it with your system on, so the alternator is being put under a good load.
that'll help determine of this is the problem.
you could also check the battery post connections and wiring.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us