Having trouble wireing my subs....almost done.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 170
Ok, well I have the box complete and it's all in my car, there's only one more problem. The amp gets power, but im getting no output. I think it's my wireing to my subs. my amp is a mtx6500d, but it has two sets of +/- for subs, but it's a mono amp. this is the configuration mtx gave me for two subs at 4ohms. http://mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/NDM186.pdf

i have them hooked up now in a series/parallel 4ohm load. will the one mtx gave me work? and should i connect the other +/- on the subs to each other. they are dual 4ohm voice coile perfects. thanks for the help guys, this is the only thing stopping me from enjoying my had work.

goon

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2862
If your subs are 4ohms DVC, then wire each sub in parallel for 2ohms load. Then wire them in series for 4ohms load.
In a perfect situation, your subs would've been 2ohms DVC or 4ohms SVC. Then you would get maximum power from 6500D amp.
Use only one of the terminals on 6500D amp.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 400
If your subs are DVC @ 4 ohms, you should wire each sub in parallel to one set of jacks.
So one sub will go to one set of speaker terminals and the other sub will go to the other set of terminals, with your voice coils wired in parallel.
That link to your manual says your amp is only stable down to 2 ohms stereo.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 401
Wait a minute, are each of those jacks equivalent to 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
see thats the thing, im not sure. i got this amp expecting 1 set of +/- but here are two. I need some diagrams, series/parrallel is german to me...and im italian.

also, i thought dual 4ohms would do a 2ohm load, which would have been perfect. but i got some bad information. so now in the near future im going to be forced to get a 1ohm stable amp.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 403
Oh jeez, I'm sorry, total brain f@rt on my part. My example would have been 1 ohm stereo.
2 DVC 4 ohm subs can be wired to 1 ohm or 4 ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Isaac, is this the configuration you were talking about? is series/Parallel the same as parallel/series?

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
oops.. heeh here's the configuration series/parallel for 2 dvc drivers.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2dvcsp

Bronze Member
Username: Calaway

Austin, TX

Post Number: 60
Can't a 4 ohm DVC be wired to be 2 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
no it cannot from what i've been told.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2863
Yes but 2 2ohms subs will end up being 1ohm.
Howie, the 2 pairs of connectors on the amp are the same. So you can use any of them. They give you 2 so that it'll be easier hooking multi subs.
How's this for an idea. Get another 6500D and power each sub. Then you will get 500w rms per sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
even if the sub is only 350w rms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2870
Yes. You can always control the output power using the volume knob.
Remember, the goal is to get 350w of music before distortion kicks in on the HU. So if half way on the HU's volume produces the desired output, then that is much better than 350w amp with volume set to max.
Speakers do not blow from getting a bit of extra clean power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
Hey Isaac I just thought of something while reading another one of your posts. since i can't run my subs a 2ohms, and only 4ohms, the subs are splitting 250w, which isn't anything, 125 each. could this be the reason why i am getting no output? to little power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2875
Correct. So if you want more power, use one of the subs for 500w rms. If you get 2nd amp, then you will get 500w x 2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
yeah...thats what im going to do. or until i can sell this one, and hopefully at least get what I paid for it, and get another amp that is 1ohm stable. thanks for your help isaac, i appreciate everyones help through this. i can you this though, i know a lot more about car audio now than i did before.

goon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us