HIFONICS AMP STARTED SMOKING

Bronze Member
Username: Rickeyd87

Post Number: 11
i just purchased a brand new hifonics bx1500d amp and hooked it up to my RE SX15...the amp came on but the sub didnt...everything was wired correctly, i thought my sub was messed up but then my amp started blinking on and off for like a min or two and then started smoking....anyone know why it would do something like this?

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 612
what voice coil model SX do you have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
its dual 2 ohms and i had it wired into a 1 ohm load...

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 18
Dual 2 ohm is not 1 ohm in series its .999992 ohms or something like that. SOme amps still wont power that unless u have dual 2.3 ohm vc

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
would an amp do that if i didnt have a good ground? because where i had it grounded there was paint around it, it wasnt just metal...because my amp kept blinking on and off then just started smoking...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2205
If the amp had a bad ground it wouldn't power up in the first place.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1228
1 ohm isn't a line drawn in the sand that once you cross results in immediate destructon of your equipment. If the amp is stable to 1 ohm then you should be fine and the problem must lie somewhere else. "Smoking" is not a good sign and usually indicates some type of catastrophic failure.

Brand new? Send that sucker back.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1229
Oh and if you haven't already done so check your speaker wiring for shorts across the positive and negative conductors as well as to the vehicle's chassis. A multimeter could help you out there.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 42
If it it not brand new id look into how much it would cost to service it compared to junkin it and gettin a new one. Serviced amps arent all that bad. Im not sayin it is a new amp or anything, but it sure is as close as you can get to one, that is if you dont have any warrenty on it. :-)

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 43
pardon my spelling also. Damn tequila. Weekend is over yet tho :-) Cheers all

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
yea its brand new in the box...i just got an email from them people and they told me to send it in and they will send me a new one...i told them if they could just send me a new one or if they could just send me a Hifonics TX1005D...its only 1000 watts RMS but i just like the way it looks and it will push my sub perfect...

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/2858

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 64
Werd. Watts arent everything tho. Just cuz an amp only pushes out 1000rms dosent mean its bad nor good. I had a 500/1 jl amp pushing a 750 rms sub. Hit harder when I hooked a 1000 watt Crossfire up to it. It all depends on manufacture, specs not only at 14.4 v but also 12 v. Since you will NOT always push 14.4 v (any one arguing. i say this about a stock alternator and battery setup.)A beefy altrnator will sometimes fix this all together. Personally I run all my audio amps on a 16 v line. Works like a charm. More watts, More stable. But I only reccommend 16 v if you know what you are doing with electricity. If not you can harm you sterio and or anything rlse hooked up to the power. Anyone disagreeing go ahead. This is my personal experience. If you have other let me know, Im always interested to hear it. :-)

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 65
I made an error in the previous statement. The 1000 rms crossfire amp did NOT hit harder than my 500/1 on the 750 rms sub. My bad. I tend to make alot of typos. So read carefully and i think you will understand what my poor typing skills are tyring to say.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us