Is it possible to bridge 4 channels to 1?

Username: Pyr0s

Oz

Post Number: 3
I have a Kicker C15A 15" 250W rms competition sub (4 ohm i think) running off a phillips dap 650 amplifier.

it's approximately 75W rms x4 channels. At the moment channel 1 and 2 are bridged to run the sub,which i believe isn't quite being pushed properly because it starts distorting when you turn it up (since it's only getting 150 instead of 250W rms). I have all my amp settings and head deck settings and crossover settings etc. correct, just not enough power to push the sub properly.

Is it at all possible to bridge 4 channels to 1 single channel to run the sub off 300W rms? If so how can i do it safely without damaging my equipment.

and can ANYONE find a frickin manual for the Philips DAP 650??? I have looked all over the net!!! Apparently they were designed in Germany and made in Japan and are the same as some alpine black amps or something, just rebadged.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 54
a 4 ohm sub is going to be 4 ohm, no matter what you do to the amp. even if you bridge 2 channels (which provides 150W rms at 2 ohms!) the amp is still seeing a 4 ohm subwoofer and is only going to provide 75W to the sub. There is nothing you can do to that amp to get it to put out 300W at 4 ohms. besides, get rid of that phillips and get something with some real balls. hell, even get a kicker class D sub amp and you'll be more than happy. Check out the 400.1. It should power your C15A quite nicely!

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1175
I really don't understand what Cyrus is saying.

If the amp is rated 4x75 at 4 ohms, has a regulated power supply, and is stable to 2 ohms stereo(4 ohms bridged) then it should provide around 300 watts with two channels bridged into 4 ohms.

Apparently that sub comes in either dual 2 or 4 ohm configurations.

http://www.kicker.com/05/05kicker.html

Which model do you have and how do you have it wired? It may be wired in a such a way that it is presenting less than a 4 ohm bridged load. Most 4 channel amps aren't stable bridged to anything less than 4 ohms which could explain why it sounds so bad.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2842
Fishy, you forgot about his question. He wanted to bridge 4 channel amp into 1 channel.
It is not possible. 4 will become 2, and 2 channel can become 1.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1179
nah, I just kind of ignored it.

:-)

If he's looking for 300 watts he should be able to get that with just half the amp. I looked all over for specs on that amp as well. There ain't none.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 25
NO, IT IT NOT POSSIBLE, TRYING IT EILL BLOW FUSES AND OR FRY AMP

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 85
People,

If you have to ask such questions because you are not sure, then why don't you just pay a professional to do the job in the first place.

Or here is another idea, read a book about audio science.

Asking questions like this leads me to believe that you should not get involved in the first place. I can understand having an inquiring mind, but when you cross the line it should be dealt with.

Go ahead dude and start reading, you will appreciate what you have.

Bronze Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 45
not a 4 channel but a 2 channel u can

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 73
I see Someone blowing fuses in the future : /

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 63
The new MTX 4 channel amps can be brigded to 1 channel, I know, sounds crazy but true.

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Oh it can be done. You need to put the amp in a fireplace and all channels will melt to one. Actually, on a lighter note, i had a 4 channel amp powering an orion HCCA 12 DVC...It had dual 4 ohm voice coils and i bridged 4 channels to 2 channels and ran each channel to its own voice coil. Amp did 75x4 RMS (rockford) so i got a total of at least 300 RMS to that sub. Worked out ok just make sure your left and right channels are getting the EXACT same imput signal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us