Isaac and Glass....starting a new system, wandering if on the right path

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
Just came across this website today, and think it's great. I only have an 88 cavalier but want it to sound good. I'm gunna start with an Alpine CDA-9853 receiver, Infinity Kappa 10.5t tweeters up front, Alpine Type-R 6x9's in the back, and probably a Kicker KX350.4 amp runnin the 4 speakers. Then i was gunna get one Kicker L7 dual 4 ohm 10" sub and a Kicker KX650.1 to power it. Does any of this sound good. Any advice before i start it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 96
all of it sounds good to me, except for the L7. Have you acutally heard one of them before in person? I have and i was not impressed at all.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2823
That is a good start Rob. If I were you, I'd spend more money on the front speakers than the rear. Most of the imaging is done at the front.
The stock 6x9 speakers will do just fine. If you have extra money, then upgrade.
Why did you settle on 10" sub? If you're planning to have only 1, then go with 12". It'll give you good SQ as well as SPL.
You mentioned Infinity Kappa 10.5T tweeters, what about mid bass? Will you be using stock speakers for that?
If you're doing the install yourself, then pick up power amp kit, distribution block for pos and ground. All the instruction will come with the amp and power wire kit.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
up front, there's only room for 3 1/2" speakers. I used to have a system but because of conflicts with certain cops, i lost my license for a while and sold everything for some extra cash. I used to have 3 1/2" infinity references up there and they "popped" after the volume went so high and they barely got any bass to begin with so thats why i was considering just putting some tweeters up there. As for the sub, i do alot of traveling back and forth from school and home and need the space so thats why only one sub. And i dont know if u delt with an 88 cav before, but there is little room below the 6x9s. I used to have 2 10's back there and they barely fit. So what 10" sub would u recommend for good SQ and SPL that isn't too expensive either. Also, i go to an engineering college and have quite a few friends who can help with the install so Im not too worried about that.Thanks

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
oh...and currently i only have one 3 1/2" infinity working up front connected to an old azz cassette deck. the only thing keeping me sane is my 20 gig dell mp3 player connected thru a cassette adapter. So i dont even have stock 6x9s. I need to buy everything.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
what do you think of the alpine type-x sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2827
Rob, you can still purchase Infinity 4" component sets. I have tested it. It gives you decent mid bass. Much better than what you're used to. The front is where all the stereo imaging is done, so you do not want to skip the midbass. If you only have tweeters there, sooner or later, the high pitch will get very annoying. So I would recommend 4" infinity component set.
If you must go with 10" sub, then make sure you get a proper sub box. Don't try and save money there. If it's not built correctly to sub's spec, you will get annoying "boxy" bass.
Use the money you were going to spend on 6x9 and spend it on the front. You won't regret it.
As for subs, I like JL subs. If you have money, then try that for SQ and SPL.
RF isn't too bad either. Best thing is to listen in person. Some subs may look impressive in picture/spec, but will sound different live.
Subs/speakers are subjective, so what may be good for one person, may not be good for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 35
Isaac is right, spend the money for midbass up front, you don't really need anything in the back (excpet maybe some tweeters) if you've got decent sub sound behind you. Good 10's: jl, infinity kappa perfects, alpine type R's, the old kicker comp vr's aren't bad either.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
Isaac, I don't know man. This 4 door 88' cavalier has the smallest little opening on top of the dash and will barely fit 3 1/2" speakers. The windshield even blocks the opening slightly, making you have to angle the speaker and push it into the hole. They actually screw into the back of the vented cover and u install it all as one piece. Do you think the infinity kappa 3 1/2's would sound good. i even looked around the rest of the front and there's no where to put any component system. Its a pain in the azz... But anyway, i think i might go with an alpine type-r 10. Would the 6x9's do anything for midrange. Thanks for all the advice, i really appreciate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Is there any way to fit speakers in the doors? hell, many retail locations even sell prefab kickpods that you could probably install yourself.

and I would be careful about using 6x9's in the rear. You really don't need midrange in the back if you've got it upfront. I did that in my maxima, and i had to seal the entire rear deck from the trunk because the subs distorted the 6x9's so badly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2838
Rob, 3 1/2" infinity components will do just fine as long as you don't feed low bass to them. You're basically looking for midbass and highs at the front. 6x9s seem to distort sound. So far I couldn't find one that performed as well as 6.5". I'll be replacing mine with 6.5".

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
first, there is no room in the doors either Cyrus. Their shallow as hell and have nothing sticking out slightly to place a speaker. Second, Isaac, those infinity kappa 3 1/2's have that little outboard crossover. Would that keep out any low bass or do i need to do something else to them to keep them from getting it. Third, are you saying i should put a 6.5" where my 6x9's would fit. The more i look at it, the more i think that could work. As long as that 1/2" doesnt mess with the mounting. I'll look at it more today and see whats do-able. In that case though, do alpine type-r components sound good or should i spend alil more and get infinity kappas, or possibly some other brand Im not even thinking of? As always, thank you, and everyone else, for your input.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2839
Rob, the crossover on the 3 1/2" is probably for the tweeters. Is it a coaxial or component? The first one will have midbass driver and tweeter all in one casing. The 2nd one will come in separate pieces. You will want to get the components cause they sound better and handle more power.
You can pick up bass blockers on eBay for $4. Look for one that'll start around 250Hz and up.
6.5" can easily be made to fit 6x9" hole by enlarging it. Sometimes you don't even have to cut the steel body except the plastic casing. Just takes some time and manual labour.

Rob contemlating
Unregistered guest
the 3.5's are coaxial. Infinity doesn'y make a 3.5 component set. And i actually bought bass blockers for my last 3.5's but never got around to putting them. I'll probably end up going with that 6.5 component set for the back too. I'm sure i can make them fit. Then all thats left is the alpine cda-9853 receiver, kicker KX350.4 for those 4 speakers, kicker kx600.1, and alpine type-r 10". If anyone has any other suggestions, im all ears. Thanks.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
Oh...and is there anything else you would recommend getting, like an equalizer (though i read alpine has a pretty decent one in the head unit), capacitor, or anything else i can't think of...to make this all come together and sound better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2841
If you're going to upgrade the HU, then try the one with parametric equalizer built in. One of the Alpine has it.
The Infinity that I tested was 4" components. It was 90w rms, which is pretty good for it's size.
I'm not too keen on Kicker amps. If you can, try PPI's PC or PCX series 4 channel amps. They're much better, especially for mids and highs.
A capacitor will only help up to certain amount, after that it becomes a burden on your alternator.
Use 1F per 1000w peak as a guide.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
I'm using kicker amps on my infinity components and they sound just fine to me, and I'm a pretty big SQ guy, too! PPI's are much cleaner, and are built better as well, however, they cost quite a bit more than kicker stuff. That's why I put kicker in my car...

Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 6
L7's sound good with certain music. Ive heard em sound rellie good and ive heard em sound like crap
. cough eclipse better tho cough.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
in regards to the receiver...i was looking around and was wandering if the Clarion ProAudio DXZ945MP would be a better choice than the alpine CDA-9853. I found a good deal on it and the price isn't that much different at all. The only other choice i still can't decide on is the sub. I was going to to go with the alpine type-r, but now im considering the type-x. I listen to mostly hip hop and deep bass is always welcome. I don't really wanna spend over 200 on the sub and found a type-x 10 for just that price. Either way, ill probably be powering the sub with the kicker KX600.1 amp. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks again for everything. Im finally reallizing just how indecisive i really am...

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3403
eclipse 881200

Gold Member

Post Number: 2868
I personally don't like Clarion and the way they conduct business. Their support isn't that great either.
I'd go with Alpine HU over Clarion.
As for your subs, listen to one in person. Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily perform well.

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 88
Isaac i had a clarion dvd flipout also. Screen went out. NO HELP. sucked. wont buy again. Guess people have to learn the hard way tho. Like me. Werd on the good info.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
ok...but whats the deal with the new alpine receivers, particularly the cda-9853 and cda-9855. Ive heard several occasions of these new HU's having a defect. I wanted one without any hisitation at first, but now Im just alittle concerned. Thats what made me consider the clarion. Does anyone know if alpine fixed this glitch and if i can buy one without worrying.

Silver Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 115
i have the cda 9851. it has one defect. Due to the spl from the subs it cause the faceplate to jam and not be motirized like it should be. You get stuck with no moving faceplate and a cd stuck. I found that tapping it fixes this. I have talked to alpine about this and it seems i have an early model that had this problem but was quickly fixed. (before 200 released problem was solved) Other than that i think they are alright. they sound good.

Rob contemplating
Unregistered guest
i don't know. i used to have an alpine too and it was pretty good. i just dont feel like going through this recall stuff if i get one made too early. i keep hearing problems ppl are having with the new head units from them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us