What do you think?

Bronze Member
Username: Dano9258

Post Number: 22
Hey. I've got a 105a alternator in my pontiac grand am, and a stock battery. I have a system right now in which the amp takes 60amps. I'm buying a new one in which it will take 80amps. Should i buy a yellow top battery and put it in instead of the stock, replace the alternator, both, or what? Thanks for the replies in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 383
you should be fine. i wouldn't worry about changing anything until you hit a problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Are you sure? B/c i dont need to have my battery dying on me. I dont listen to my system at all without the engine running either if that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 386
if you have 105 amps and your only using 80 for the system, you have plenty to keep your car running and your battery charged. unless you have a lot of other accesories running.
after you hook up the new system, if you run into a problem with your car not wanting to crank right up, you'll need to look into a new alternator. changing the battery without changing the alternator won't help

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1138
Dan.

You have too many threads going and are confusing the heck out of me and probably a few others.

If you have a decent amp that powers your subs while drawing 60 amps just keep the darn thing.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Sry. I tried putting it all into one thread, but then people werent answering the right questions. Im a newbie at this, and want to get a good system put together. My system right now doesnt have any kick to it.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1143
Is your box ported or sealed?

Going ported would help a bunch and wouldn't cost as much as a bigger amp nor put any added strain on your alternator.

To gain any volume with more power is probably going to require a bigger alternatpor and a ported box can give you over a 3 dB increase in output. This is the same as what you MIGHT get by doubling the power with your existing subs.

If you're using a sealed enclosure going ported is your best bet if you want more "kick".

If your handy with a set of tools you could give us your subwoofer specs as well as some aproximate space dimensions and we could design something for you. It should cost you less than $35 dollars in materials to build a ported box custom fitted to your vehicle.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I believe i have a sealed enclousure.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1144
Do you think you have enough carpentry skills to build a box?

Utilizing the right enclosure is more than half the battle.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah. Prolly. TIme is another issue however. lol. I go to college, and work two jobs.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1146
You can probably find some inexpensive ported prefabs on ebay which would give you a lot more output. Just make sure the specs are close to Audiobahn's recommended enclosure. Whatever you do don't go with a smaller enclosure than what they suggest. Most prefabs are tuned to around 40 Hz. If thats close to what Audiobahn recommends then a ported prefab should be an improvement over what you have now. If you decide to purchase one make sure it fits. Shipping can cost nearly as much as the box itself so even if the seller lets you return the thing if its too big, that route will cost you.

:-)

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us