Glasswolf! or anyone that know electronics internally!

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 36
is it true that sometimes, if you send alot of voltange through your amp, instead of your fuse blowing, its actually some part on the circuit board?

one of my friends was messing with my rossover, and "accidentally" touched the (-) terminal to the metal case. now it only works if i attach the ground to something else other that the (-) terminal.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3830
It's possible that you shorted it, and it sounds as if it's simply along the lines of a melted solder joint since the amplifier still works with the ground attached to the case. You can crack the amp and look around the terminal for any damage.

Bronze Member

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 38
i already did and yeah i did find some solder that is broken along the negative that goes to the rest of component, will adding some solder to this area fix the prob? or is there something else that passes more current available?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3833
When you say that you touched the - terminal to the metal case, you did mean you hit the case with the chassis ground, right? There really shouldn't be an issue with that, most grounds are attached to the amplifier case as well, after all, there is a reason that amplifiers are made of metal and not plastic on the outside. Depends on the amp, though. Just making sure I understood you right.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3834
Disregard that last post. Resolder the joint and you'll be good to go.

Bronze Member

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 39
oh my bad i meant it got touched from positive to the metal case, and there was still current going through, but yeah i found some broken metal along the circuit board, is it fixable?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3836
Now it's making sense, I knew touching ground didn't sound right :-) As far as the "broken metal", do you mean a melted joint or was it a component that was broken? If the components show no damage and the solder joints are simply broken, try resoldering and see if it fixes the problem. Hopefully you didn't fry any components, transistors, caps, resistors in amps are fairly sensitive.

Bronze Member

Vicky ville, CA US

Post Number: 40
nothing fried as far as i can see, just the metal that runs along the circuit board.

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
well, if its a good amp repair it. But as you said if you touch the ground wire to the metal case it works, so in all reality you could just run a short self drilling screw into the case and use a ring terminal on the ground cable to secure it to the screw....just make sure the screw does not damage anything interally (check where you drill first) ....if the amp is anything decent i would repair it but if its a 'beeter' so to speak just do that...

Bronze Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 44
some amps have internal fuses that u can blow
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us