Amp problem?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
I installed a second sub in my ride, and the amp powering them works fine, both subs are bumpin. But now, I turn the volume up to 9 (not loud at all) and all the speakers turn off. All four speakers are running from a seperate 4 channel amp (Alpine V12 50x4). The sound cuts out, then comes back seconds later for a split second and so on! I dont know wuts up, ive checked all the wiring and it seems fine. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 45
Sounds like the protection circuitry built into the amp is kicking on and off. Do you have all the speakers running off of seperate channels? What ohm are the subs?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1450
protection mode.
either the subs are wired at too low of an impedance, or the amplifiers aren't getting enough current and the amps are clipping and shutting off to protect the speakers.

CDeM
Unregistered guest
ok, I have 2 Type R 12" subs running off a 501bd mono block amp. One sub is the 1241 model at 4+4 ohms, the other is the 1221 model at 2+2 ohms. Both subs are wired at 2 ohms(im not sure wut im doing, I only know that subs pound louder when wired at 2 ohms). Both subs are connected together at one terminal if that matters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
CDeM, Am I right when I take it from the last sentence that you have both subs connected to one output terminal of the amp? Am I also right when you state you have one DVC sub with two four ohm coils, and one DVC sub with two two ohm coils?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
yes lol, what should i do?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
I have the 4+4 wired at 2 ohms, and the 2+2 at 1 ohm! If I only run one wire +to+ -to- on the 2+2, will that make them both 2 ohms? I hear its not good to run at 1 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Yeah, that is what is shutting your amp off, it recognizes that your ohm load it to low. Let me guess, when you run the 4+4 wired in parallel +2+ -2-, the sub hits great, the amp does not shut off, and you like what you hear. But when you add the 2+2 to either the amp by itself, our with the other sub, you start having problems.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1462
that amp is only 2 Ohm stable.
you need a pair of 4 Ohm subs, or you need a 2 channel amp, or you need two mono amps, or a single 1 Ohm stable mono amp.
you have a poor combination there, as I noted above.
low impedance.

CDeM
Unregistered guest
well, i wired the 2+2 to 4 ohms, and the 4+4 to 2 ohms. It pounds nicely, although the mono amp shuts off after pounding it for a while. If I get another 4+4 sub, can I wire them both at 2 ohms and have no problems?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
If I had two 2+2 ohm subs instead of one 2+2 and one 4+4, would that fix my problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
If you have two DVC subs with 2 2 ohm coils you could wire each subs imputs in series, for a four ohm load per speaker, and then wire the two subs in parrellel, for a two ohm load, that should run your amp perfect, and stop it from shutting off.

CDeM
Unregistered guest
ok, i'll buy another 2+2 alpine Type R. Do you think that will prevent my speakers from turning off as well?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
ok, well heres the situation now lol. I have one 4ohm SINGLE voice coil and one 2 ohm DOUBLE voice coil sub. I wired the SVC sub in parallel, now how can I wire the DVC sub to prevent the amp from shutting off?

Bronze Member

OK United States

Post Number: 92
Wire the 2+2 sub in series, and then wire it and 4 ohm SVC sub in parellel, presenting a 2 ohm load to the amp.

flyby
Unregistered guest
i have an 800 watt amp which i have hooked up in my truck. It has 2 guages to show how much input is goin to it. NO matter what i do these guages wont move and no sound will come out. i have bot hig inut and low input on the amp but only the low input is hooked up. the amp isnt blown or anything it just isnt getin any input...Any suggestions?

flyby
Unregistered guest
bot hig inun=both high input

newbaudio
Unregistered guest
can u take the channels from an amp and convert them to the high input of another amp?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
im still having problems, the subs are wired correctly, but when i turn it up to a mediocre volume, the amps "protect" light comes on and the subs stop working. my 4 guage ground and battery wire is split into 2guage wire running to my sub amp and 4channel amp. My remote is split in half as well. My subs run from the same terminal on the box. Any ideas as to why its shutting off?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
Any ideas at all?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
"my 4 guage ground and batter is split into 8 guage" Not 2 guage .. sorry

energizer
Unregistered guest
it could be that your subs are tryint to take too much juice out of your amp. Im a newb at car audio so i dont really know but its a suggestion

CDeM
Unregistered guest
Sounds reasonanble, as it works fine with only one sub. But its a powerful amp and shouldnt shut off at that low of a volume.

theAnonymous1
Unregistered guest
All I have to say is OMFG. And you guys tie your own shoes?

the Anonymous1
Unregistered guest
Its simple fu*cking math folks 1/R=1/R + 1/R. Heres an example for a dual 4ohm sub in parallel. (1/4=.25) + (1/4=.25)=.5 now 1/.5= 2ohms.......WALLA. Easy as tieing a fu*cking shoe now isn't it. Series is even easier, its just additive.

Bronze Member
Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 22
additive? Whos the idiot? It's addition, like in maybe you need an addition in brain cells to understand stand how much of an idiot you are.

theAnonymous1
Unregistered guest
Hey Tim, why dont you STFU. I bet my english is alot better then your German(that means german is my first language dummes Bumsen). I think you get the picture, 2+2=4. Or is that too hard for you? here is my understanding of the word additive-

ad·di·tive
Pronunciation: 'a-d&-tiv
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characterized by addition
2 : produced by addition
3 : characterized by, being, or producing effects that when the causative factors act together are the sum of their individual effects.

Is this not correct?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
You wouldn't pass you ESL with that grammar. You used "then" in the wrong context. It's "than". People who hide behind anonymous names are just a joke to me anyways.

theAnonymous1
Unregistered guest
While we're grammar bashing, I think you left the R out of "your". I don't ever plan on taking the ESL or coming to your god forsaken country. The only reason I speak any english is because I spend a lot of time in Sheffield England. Oh, and as far as my forum name goes, would you rather I call myself Bob or Ron? LOL, like it makes a difference what name I use.

CDeM
Unregistered guest
You are not helping here, wut is going on with my system? Even when I turn on the AM radio, everything shuts off. Even the antenna goes down. Sound like a problem with the deck possibly?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
"Its simple fu*cking math folks 1/R=1/R + 1/R. Heres an example for a dual 4ohm sub in parallel. (1/4=.25) + (1/4=.25)=.5 now 1/.5= 2ohms.......WALLA. Easy as tieing a fu*cking shoe now isn't it. Series is even easier, its just additive." - what does this mean?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
That was a spelling mistake. Just remeber that you started this with your "All I have to say is OMFG. And you guys tie your own shoes?" quote.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Everything in your car shuts off or just you sound system?

CDeM
Unregistered guest
just the system shuts off. WHether it be music or radio, it shuts off when the volume is turned to a mediocre level or when the fade is turned to the front or rear.

Username: Rowleyw2

Yarmouth, Nova scotia Canada

Post Number: 1
I just installed all sony in my car,
1000watt xplod amp,50x4 xplod deck,2 12inch xplods and 2 4inch 2way sony xplodes
and everything is hooked up but when i turn it on the protect light turns on and the subs wont work. I tryed everything could u help me out?

energizer
Unregistered guest
screw you theAnonymous1.. you didnt seem to have a solution to the problem

Post Number: 2
Well I went out and bought some good rca cords and 6gauge power cord.. and got the amp cleaned and everything seems to work fine.. just alot of bass

Post Number: 3
Cdem the same thing happened to me.. I went out and bought some new Rca cords and A new power cord and everything works like new.. you should try that

Mikho
Unregistered guest
I've got My R type's (Only 2 10" dual 4ohms) Running off of a MTX 942 briged the sound is great and type 's r so hard to blow im tellin u man i can make the em pop out a good 3 in" if id like to (but i am still think about ruming the 2 alpine 300rms amp what do u think)

Post Number: 4
Should I stick with my Sony xplod deck 50x4 Xm radio pre sub out put
or switch to pioneer?

Bronze Member
Username: The_master

Bellmawr, Nj Usa

Post Number: 17
cdem try to test your remote power wire voltage-seems like not enough--use meter to test-if you notice it drops under 11 volt then email me ill send you an esy fix for this-also make sure your using the remote wire and not the power ant lead-

Unregistered guest
I need some serious help!! I have a thousand watt alpine amp. I think that it is an older model but I am not totaly sure. The amp is a four channel amp and I am trying to run two 12' MA Audio's off of it. However when I hook up both the amp shuts down. If I hook up one in bridged it runs pretty good. But I hate to not be able to run both. If anyone knows how to hook it up so both will thump with out cutting off then PLEASE let me know!! I do not know the ohms of my subs... just that they can handle up to 700watts and are dual voice coils. Thanks If you email me please just put subs+amp for the title.. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Thespotlight

Amarillo, TX USA

Post Number: 17
A 4ch amp can only be bridged into 2ch's so each 4ohm or 2ohm sub should be bridged on their own channel. If your subs are set at 8ohm then you can only bridge them onto one channel and buy 2 more for the other channel. I don't know what kind of voice coils your subs have and I hope you know how to wire them. If not I can explain it later.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 300
they are dual voice coils, thats why and i bet you have them in paralell to 2 ohms each - im 99% sure that amp is only 4 ohm stable in bridged mode and that would be why you're amp keeps shutting down, thermal protection because its putting out more power than its made to and that can wreck you amp so get some single 4 ohm voice coils or a new amp

Anonymous

Or he can still wire two 2 ohm subs in series and have a 4 ohm load on one channel and add whatever he wants on the other channel. Either 1 4 ohm sub or 2 2ohm subs again but I don't know how powerful his amp is.

If I were you I would use your 4ch amp to drive your high/mid-range speakers and buy either a 2ch amp or a mono sub amp for your subs.

Anthony77
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all of your advice guys!! I found that if I hook it up with the + of channel 1 and the - of 3 to one sub and then the + of 2 & - of 4 to the other sub that it hits pretty good. I am not to sure if this will ruin my amp or not. but if you guys know then please let me know!!! Thanks alot!! And my subs are dual voice coils! ohms not totaly sure but I am sure that its_bacon12 is right! Thanks again

Anthony77
Unregistered guest
I checked and my subs are 4 ohms dual voice coils!! So I am not to sure what the hookl up that i have is running for ohms.. but if anyone knows then let me know!!
Thanks alot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us