Blown a/d/s/ 8-channel. Should I fix? Pt. 1

Username: Vayoboy20

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 1
I have a P840-2 a/d/s/ 8-channel which I blew up. It's powering too much and overheated since its bridged and running low ohms. The shop says it needs a power supply or toridial coil but can't find one. Is this amp worth fixing?? If so, where can I get parts?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7797
Toroildal coil. That's part of the power supply.
a/d/s is owned by DEI. contact DEI's parts department to get what they need.
I'd get it fixed. Nice amplifier.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7798
if that amp is bridged to 4 channels, you should run no lower than 4 ohm loads per channel.

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 3
thanks for the help.. Called DEI - they wont release parts but quoted 250 to fix. WTF. I hardly think the amp is worth another 250 esp. if dealers can't obtain parts... Any other ideas?

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for help. Called DEI- they wont release parts but must ship amp to them to fix for $250!! They refuse to release parts for it. WTF. I hardly think 250 is worth fixing it esp, without the ability to cheaply fix in house locally. Any other suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2711
How much did you pay for the amp? $250 is probably the cost to replace your whole board. Like all repair shops, they like to charge you for the worst scenario to maximize profit.
If your amp was made in US, then they'll probably swap out the parts with inferior ones, just like their current amp series.

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 5
Yes and doesn't seem worth it to me when plenty of great online deals for brand new amps... ck out my next question.... soundstream vs. orion
thanks man!

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 7
I agree.. Doesn't seem worth the hassel or price when can find great net deals on new amps with warranty. Next ?? Soundstream vs. Orion?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7808
depends on the amp I guess too.
for a Tru or PPI Art series I'd do it. for an off the shelf amp, probably not hehe

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1051
Do you have to have DEI fix it?

Couldn't it be possible their toroidal coil ain't the only one that would work? There might even be better parts out there to be had by someone who knows what they're doing.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2658
thats exactly what I was thinking Fishy:-) try your local electronics repair man!

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 9
the amp is at a local Orion dealer in Richmond,VA -- i was hoping something comparable or better would fit - i hate to scrap a really nice clean amp.. any suggestions.. i'll mail it. =) thanks guys

VA-DC USA

Post Number: 10
It's at a local Orion dealer in Richmond- was hopin' guy could find comparable parts. My only bug with DEI is that it seems all their products PPI-Direted-a/d/s/ must be sent to DEI to fix? I hope thats not the case.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1059
Yeah I'm of the same opinion. Even if it costs a lil less to replace there's just something not right about having a good piece of equipment sitting dead in your closet. I have a couple really nice old school Soundtreams in that exact condition.

I've got a good deal of free time these days and was seriously thinking of investing in some diagnostic eqipment and purchasing the amp repair tutorial found here:

http://www.bcae1.com/

It might be a lot of fun picking up a few high quality, busted items off ebay, repairing them, and either reselling or giving them away to friends.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2726
Feel free to give high quality amps away to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us