Fuse size questions

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 61
right now i have an amp that has 2x 20A fuses, 40 total. My 8 guage wiring kit has an inline fuse by the battery that is 50A. The 8 guage wire is a little bit less than 10 feet long. If i were to get a new amp that had 2x 25A fuses, 50 total, would i want to upgrade the fuse by my battery to 60A?

Anonymous

No inline fuse should never be bigger then the total on amp unless you want to blow amp fuses.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2700
Your inline fuse should equal the total fuse sizes of your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
well circuit city originaly installed my inline fuse and the amp, so the amp is 10A less than that fuse... those bast@rds at circuit city! it hasnt done anything to the amp so i guess it isnt that bad, but im getting a new amp that consumes 50A so its perfect i wont even have 2 change it.

Anonymous

I really dont understand that if the inline fuse is total of all fuses doesnt that leave you vurnerable? I mean think about it for a sec if you have 2 amps running to a d/b and you say total up and thats what you need for a fuse so say an amp has a 50amp fuse and the other has a 80 right and you say put in a 130amp fuse well that doesnt seem right to me. what happens if something shorts will the big fuse blow or the lil 50 amp fuse? I would think the lil fuses would blow first seems like something wrong to me. Explain this reasoning cause im not understanding.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
I have always put a larger fuse in the power line then the total of my amps. You are looking to protect the power line from a dead short not protect the amplifiers, unless your amps do not have their own fuses. The fuses in the amps will protect the amps...so why not install a bigger fuse in the powerwire for future upgrades? This just seems logical to me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2705
The purpose of inline fuse is to protect your car and battery from accidental shorts. Without it, the power wires would burn up and possibly cause fire.
Most amps have built in fuses that will blow. That's what they're for.
If you really wanted extra protection, you could fuse the amps individually. Any way you look it, the inline fuse near the battery HAS to equal the total fuses in your car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
well myne doesnt equal the total.. mynes 50A and the total of my amp fuses is 40A, and its worked fine for 2 years?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
well myne doesnt equal the total.. mynes 50A and the total of my amp fuses is 40A, and its worked fine for 2 years?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2710
You're fine. The 50A fuse will protect the car.

Silver Member
Username: Langner

Madison, South dakota US

Post Number: 138
do you absolutely need a fuse??

Anonymous

yeah unless you wanna melt stuff lol.

Silver Member
Username: Langner

Madison, South dakota US

Post Number: 139
alright well i just bought a fuse for my setup its a 60 amp fuse so if my amp only has 2 25 amp fuses can i replace then with 2 30's and not hurt my amp?

G1assWolf
Unregistered guest
no chris, the mathmatical equasion we talked about in other threads will not permit this...
2x33 amps is ok and 2x32 amps is a possability but 2x30 amps is a no-no, you wanna smell like fried chicken chris??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us