What should I do?

Bronze Member
Username: 1stimer

Post Number: 28
Well sometimes in order to make a decision you just have to do it...That's what I have done. I purchased a 5.25" ID chameleon component set today. They are 2ohm speakers (cxs52) 100 watts. I am having the hardest time choosing an amp.

Choices: (1) A 4 channel amp to run the components and one small sub. i.e eclipse 4 channel. 120W x 4 Channel 0.1% THD at 2 ohm Stereo.

(2) A 3 channel amp like a kicker kx550.3. 85x2 @ 2ohm + 400x1 @2ohm mono channel.

(3) 2 seperate amps. a good 2 channel like an arc audio 110 watts x2 @ 2ohm with a seperate sub amp.

Wants---A small system...approx. 100 watts per side at two ohms and approx. 200-300 watts for the sub. ideally would like to control bass from drivers seat, but not mandatory. budget approx. 300 for amp or amps.

Haves---pioneer deh-p3500, id cxs52 components

questions: (1) Is there any problems running a 4 channel amp (like the eclipse which is 2 ohm stble) all channels at 2 ohms?

(2) How do I determine if my headunit would be able to accomodate two seperate amps, and if it could is there any more strain on my very small alternator with two smll amps compared to one more powerful amp?

(3) The three channel kicker's subwoofer channel is a mono channel. Does this mean I would not be able to hook up a dual voice coil sub to it?

I am really leaning towards the 4-channel eclipse, unless anyone can tell me why that is not a good idea. The sub I have been looking at is the idq-10 dual 4ohm vc which is rated at 250 watts.

I know this isn't a system that most of you would put together, but thanks for any input you guys can offer me.

Bronze Member
Username: 1stimer

Post Number: 30
Well I called eclipse and the amp I was looking at could only be bridged to 4 ohms and would only give me 150 watts of power, so I decided to just get an amp to power my components. I went with an arc audio cxl-2050. It puts out 110 watts per side @2 ohms, so I think it will be a good match. Paid a little more than I wanted, but I think it will be a good choice, plus if I decide to upgrade when I change cars I can always have it just powering some mids or highs. Install of the chameleons and the amp is next, with some more research on sub amps and woofer to follow.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5770077380
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us