Two Alternators

Bronze Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 48
so i asked this guy if he had an alternator for my system, and he said i sure do. So i go on telling him that the system is going to be around 4000 watts rms/8000 max. And he told me that im going to need two alternators. I have never installed two alternators before, and i have never heard of anyone doing this. The amps both have 4 fuse slots with a 40 amp fuse in each. So each amp is protected up to 160 amps. Would that mean i need an alternator to put out like 320 amps, or would a 220 amp alternator with a 5 farad cap do me fine?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2622
You will need 320A + 50A for your car's electrical components.
Just curious, why do you need 4000w rms system in your car?
There are some alternator manufacturer that sell some which can be added on. For example, they have 200A alternator and with a kit, you can purchase another 200A and combine the power. It is not common at all. So don't expect all HO alternators to be able to do this.

Bronze Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 54
Trust me man, Everday i ask myself the same question, and everday it just sinks in deeper. I only took in a part of the expense this system would cost me, not the whole d#mn thing. You have to bill gates to get this thing right.
But if you combine alternators, that would be limited by the space you have in your car. And what about a capacitor, its more stress on the alternator while it charges, but once its charged it should help right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2627
I'd concentrate on the stackable HO alternator first. Unless you own a Hummer or truck with ample space under the hood, it may not be feasible.
If or when you get the alternators, then worry about a capacitor. Since it's 1F per 1000w of peak, you will need 8F.
It will help smooth out voltage rails, which should give you tighter bass.

Bronze Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 60
I have a friend that had ample amps in his truck with 22 10's in it. He said it would be much better to run 0 gauge wire from the front battery and hook it up to a battery in the back. Then run the power wire from the back battery to the distribution block, to the two amps. This way the wires are shorter and he said it will relieve stress from the front battery, but i thought this would only put more stress on the alternator, and i though a second battery only helps when the car is off. If it does help, then ill just get a 220 amp alternator, a second battery and a cap. What do you think?
Im going to try and stay away from getting two alternators, i want that to be last resort.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2672
To have more than 1 battery, you will need some kind of battery isolator.
0 gauge will not be enough for 4000w rms. You might have to drop to 00gauge.
You can have 10 batteries if you like, but it will not replace HO alternator. Remember, batteries only "store" energy, not generate.
You are right about 2nd battery, it is helpful with engine off. When the car is running, the amp will get all of it's power from the alternator. Once the that power gets depleted, then it will suck up the battery's power. This is something you want to avoid.

Bronze Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 62
ok, so lets say i do get a second battery, and run 00 guage from the front one to the back, this will help with the size of wire i use too hook up my amps since the wire will obviously be shorter.
but your still saying im going to need a higher output alternator? darn.

Well im not saying im always going to be playing this system at full power(im not trying to go deaf). Maybe once in a while ill blast it to show off. But you think if i kept it mid range most the time, itll do well? even with the 220 amp alt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2677
If you keep the volume down, 220A alternator will be fine. On your 2nd battery, you WILL need an isolator. Without it, any one of the battery that is less charged will drain the other.

Bronze Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 64
absolutely, im definetly aware of that one, Thanks man, youve been great help.ill try and get the highest output alternator that will fit her car, that way i can play it safe. I saw an alternator that was 320 amps, but it would take some modification on the car, it might be worth it though. I just hope i can get a big enough fuse for the power wire. The biggest i saw so far was 250 amps. Im sure theres bigger ones, i havent looked yet, but i will. Otherwise ill be replacing fuses a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 25
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/alternators.htm

Bronze Member

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 68
yeah, i was looking at the brute series 375 amp alternator a couple days ago, and im waiting on an email to see if i could fit that onto a honda civic. I havent heard anything yet, but if it can, than thats my alternator. ill have to get it professionally installed, but id rather do that anyways
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us