High Current amplifier?

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 49
what is a high current amp? http://sonicelectronix.com/item_56.html
that amp is high current, and it doesnt state what class it is. Yet the amp that puts out the same power by audiobahn that is class D cost about $50 more, so im assuming high current amps are not good?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2585
Morgan that is a high current amp. It is also class AB.
It's not matter of high current amps being bad, it's really up to your electrical system. If it can handle it, then you will get great, powerful sounds.
If you look at the frequency range, it'll give you a clue. If it's between 10Hz - 20,000Hz, it's normally class AB. Sure there are some odd class Ds with those spec, but in general, class Ds have very short range.
Audiobahn's HCT models are good. I've tested it. However, they do suck up lot of power.
On the plus side, it gave one of the most powerful bass response.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
how much power would that consume? i think it has 3 30amp fuses, cant quite tell from the picture, also how are you sposed to know what the maximum guage wire the audiobahn amps except since they dont tell you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2589
Morgan they do tell you. It's in the manuals. The fuse sizes vary depending on the models from 60A - 180A. Mine had 4x40A fuses. Trust me, at 1/4 of the volume, it almost blew my 60A fuse. It also gave tons of bass. So much so, that I had the remote bass control only half way.
It was a great amp, but it didn't suit my application. I wanted even better sound quality. Now I have PPI Art series and Orion G4s.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
how much power would that consume? i think it has 3 30amp fuses, cant quite tell from the picture, also how are you sposed to know what the maximum guage wire the audiobahn amps except since they dont tell you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
if you had one can you tell me what guage wire it uses ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2592
You go by the amp's power to determine the wire gauge.
For example, 8 gauge will give you up to 70A max, 4 gauge will give you 130A, 2 gauge will give you 180A, 1 gauge = 210A, 0 gauge = 240A.
So for the amp you're looking at is 90A. This means you will need 4 gauge power wires. The fuse near the battery is 90A also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
wouldnt hurt to run 2 guage wire would it? i thought that amp would consume more than 90A @ 1200rms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2594
The lower the gauge the better it is for you in the future. If you can afford 0 gauge now, then go for it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7787
the term "high current amplifier" traditionally refers to an amplifier that is stable to below 2 ohms. The reason for the name is due to traditional rated power specs for amplifiers being stated at 4 ohms stereo, which could be misleading if you are running an abnormally low impedance and getting a lot more power from the amplifier, and thus drawing a lot of current to provide that power.
The old Orion HCCA (high current competition amplifier) series amps are an example of this.
an 225HCCA rated for 25 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, would actually produce 400 watts at it's minimum load.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 975
Im gonna be running a Orion HCCA 250g4 at 800x1@1ohm and a ppi art 300.2. Just wanna make sure i can use 1/0 awg wire to the distribution block and then split it into 2 4 awg outputs???
Like that 1/0awg wire kit on www.knukonceptz.com is what i was thinking about getting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us