Confirmation on the new Camaro's!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1496
I know there has been a few threads on this subject desiding if it is true... or when they will be cumming out!
Well, one of my famillies best friends owns a chevy deallership, and he said that they will be released in 2007. They are looking at the mottle to go a head and start ordering.
So, it looks like we will be seeing the new Camaro's in a little over a year, and my mom is already on the wating list she says!:-)
I didn't get to go in depth with him, so I haven't heard what motor they are going to give options on, but it is supposed to look like the older mottle, I think he said the 1968 I believe.
The only bad thing is they wated until after Ford released the new mustange's, so it is going to look like Chevy is trying to copy them.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 56
I am a chevy fan, but actually Ford came out with the mustang before Chevy came out with their camaro. If I remember correctly, this is how it happened:

Ford Mustang 1965-1/2 (Birth)

Chevrolet Camaro 1967 (Birth)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3768
I was about to say the same as mixneffect. The first Camaro was dubbed as a late comer Mustang copy by media of the time. This would be history repeated, just with 40 more years.

Taylor, I hate to urinate in your Wheaties, but the Camaro release is only a rumor and not promised. Thanks to slumping sales, GM recently cancelled the Zeta platform and doesn't show any quick plans to create a RWD platform nor do they have a lot of moolah to create a good one. For those that don't know, Zeta was the supposed RWD platform for the revival of the future Buick Velite, future Chevrolet Camaro, updated Pontiac GTO and other vehicles that were supposed to bring back the glory days of GM's past. And the project was killed to "reallocate resources (human and financial) to pull some other programs ahead and get other vehicles to market sooner" according to Bob Lutz. Mainly to speed up production of a bunch of dull SUVs and trucks. Thank Mr. Lutz and corporate GM for that decision. About the Camaro, though, all the retro rumors came from a bunch of pictures that a fan drew up and posted on the internet, and they are still only rumors from mainly GM enthusiasts that claim to have "close ties". You'll see that you won't find any concept cars made up of this Camaro, only computer touched drawings that weren't done by GM, but by an independant artist. If GM had a concept model, they'd have released it by now and tried to get some hype going, you remember that the Mustang concept came out a long time before it made production. As much as I like GM, if they continue in their current state they'll screw this up like they have the rest of their lineup, they haven't exactly had an attractive product line or anything that is really unique or best-of-class lately, exception being the new 'Vette. The rest are just dull cars and SUVs that have yet to excite anyone. Basically, since Zeta was killed, it will require GM to conjure up the funding to make a ground up Camaro platform, which is pretty unlikely for the time being because they're losing so much money and are the weakest Detroit Automaker at this point. Add the fact that by 2007 the Mustang will gain even more momentum via updates and the release of the 500hp GT-500. GM really has to get its divisions straightened out before releasing a lot of cars, they're already discussing dropping either Buick or Pontiac because they're not making money (Pontiac most likely).

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2819
there is a company though that is selling and remanufacturing the body of the 1969 camaro z28 u can buy for 15,000 bucks alll the scrap metal to rebuild it

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3769
BTW, the 2007-2008 rumors came from the promise GM made with the St. Therese plant. They promised that they would not produce a car named "Camaro" or "Firebird" until the 2008 model year, so enthusiasts jumped the gun and automatically assumed that in 2008 GM would have a revival of it's Camaro name because they could finally release it legally. The GM fanatic site Cheers and Gears was prematurely announcing that there would be a 2008 Camaro off the Zeta. Some even claimed the car would be at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. Now, they are back pedeling and deleted the forum and posting about the "2008 Camaro coming soon". Now they say it's just coming and everyone is clueless about times or dates. It's about as real now as the Lochness monster and Bigfoot. They may or may not be working on a chassis design at the moment, but they sure as hell aren't showing anything and Bob Lutz isn't anything but mouth.

Username: Bhaering

Post Number: 8
Firebird > Camaro

I would way rather see the Trans Am back in production.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1507
Actually, Jonathan, there is a consept car, this guy I'm talking about... that owns the Chevy deallership showed us a picture. He had it as a back ground on his computer, I believe there where 2 color's he had, red, and yellow.
There are 3 motor options you can get with it. The small V6, wich I wish they would never even put in a sport's car! But that's besides the point...:-) the small v8, and the same motor that is in the vet.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1508
BTw Jonathan, where do you get all this info? Just wondering, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3770
"Actually, Jonathan, there is a consept car, this guy I'm talking about... that owns the Chevy deallership showed us a picture. He had it as a back ground on his computer, I believe there where 2 color's he had, red, and yellow.
There are 3 motor options you can get with it. The small V6, wich I wish they would never even put in a sport's car!"

Would that concept car happen to look like a 67-69 Camaro? Those were the computer animated drawings. Like I said, not an actual clay molded car, just pictures.

"BTw Jonathan, where do you get all this info? Just wondering, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7254913/
http://www.softcom.net/webnews/wed/ap/Uus-gm.Rld-_FMJ.html
http://truetalk.typepad.com/truetalk/2005/03/truth_lie_or_bu.html

It's all over the news. Lutz has made many statements about the cut of the Zeta platform, by recently I mean it happened in March BTW. They'd have to come up with a chassis design, a platform for ALL those vehicles, engine plans, safety plans, and they'd have to do it all in less than a months time for your confirmation above to be true. Any concept drawings are still rumors as you know they aren't going to make a car in a month. The pictures of the 67-69 Camaro retro are, like I said, rumors. Popular Hotrodding did an article about the return, but it was before GM cancelled Zeta and still only based upon independant drawings and guys from the cheersandgears site that claim to have "close ties".
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/
If those pictures and ideas are the ones you're talking about, then you'll see what I'm saying. Right now, Lutz says they are "rethinking" doing a RWD platform, but haven't made it yet and don't have anything concrete. So right now, there is no Camaro design. Not saying it won't happen, but a timeframe for it and the plans for it aren't in the works right now.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 125
it's ok guys...we all know which one is better =)

goon

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1521
Hummm, well I'm so confused. Why would a guy who owns a chevy deallership believe something that doesn't come from higher up? I would think he would know first hand what chevy is doing, but from what I've read, it looks like he is looking at the same stuff we are! Weard!
Well, I guess we'll find out if I'm right or not at the end/early 2006/2007.
But if it is true, I won't let you forget about who said it was true first!:-) haha

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1522
P.s, he said that they were trying to come out with it because the Mustange was killing Chevy.

I know one thing, I hope it is true, and it completely destroy's Mustange sales!

Bronze Member
Username: Crazyfool289

Post Number: 28
u dont know how to spell mustang dude

Bronze Member
Username: Robste15

Post Number: 20
that would be sweet if they come out with a new camaro and have option of having the 6.0L HO motor the same in the chevy silverado ss pickup!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3772
If Chevy was coming out with a Camaro, I'd think it would be well known instead of all this back and forth talk about possibilities, honestly. I'd like to see the Camaro come back and have a little competition with Dodge and Ford, but it seems GM is taking it's precious time coming out with a car that someone actually wants.

Good luck on any hopes of a Camaro taking away Mustang sales by a huge amount. They're selling record amounts and the Camaro had only outsold the Mustang for a couple of years in the history of both vehicles, that was during the hideous Mustang II years of the late 70s. Regardless of which you like better, the Mustang has always been the most popular. Saying the GTO is only 1/4 second faster in the 1/4 mile than the Mustang with the 6.0L Corvette engine, even with it's 1.4L and 100hp advantage, they don't have any other engines that will outdo that at the moment and it wouldn't take much of an upgrade for Ford (5.4L maybe?) to top it. Fords modular motors have a lot more potential than GMs current lineup of engines IMO, and they're doing it with smoother running, smaller motors that deliver better gas mileage.

Anonymous

camaros suck anyway

Bobby69camaro
Unregistered guest
Ford Mustang 1965-1/2 (Birth)

Chevrolet Camaro 1967 (Birth)
-------------------------------------------------
Mustang was 1964 1/2 and I was told it was in responce to the Chevy II, Nova but it was alot smaller. The Camaro followed to directly compete. Ford and chevy have always gone back and forth. Feel free to corect any of that btw.

Personally Id like to see a 69 camaro look alike. It is the best looking IMO longest produced from sept '68 to feb '70, Highest production numbers, and yet only one year in that style. Its the most sought year after and fetches the highest prices on market. Id like to see it on the same platform as the CTS/CTS-V with a modern interior, independent suspension that can handle. What if the Shark gills on the side were not only stylish but were functioning rear disc cooling ducts? What if the open front end was functional in terms of cooling ducts for front front disc brakes on the outside of the headlights, The battery was put along the firewall or in the trunk? Also engine covers have been used lately like in Audi. Couple that idea with the idea Ford used to relieve drag with the new Shelby with vents on top of the hood. Well with the cowl hood the air could come in the grill, the engine cover which would have some king of easy release system, racing pins or whatever. The cover would route air from the bottom of the open grill up at an angle to and around the intake and excess routed out the cowl, and go right up the windshield making it more areo dynamic than it looks. Similar to the idea though that the new mustang sits on a Lincoln Platform.

That is my ideal Camaro. Im not stuck on the caddy platform, just the 69 look with a true back seat and ease to work on.(I have a white one and Id buy another) Oh and if they shove the engine under the dash like my '98 again where you have to crawl under it to change spark plugs or the tiny rear seats. Im giving up on new Camaro's

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1593
Yanko camaro... that's all I've got to say!:-)

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1594

Silver Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 184
I have a camaro that would probably woop your cars @ss anon...and beat louder TOO...so shut it...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3792
I think we need to stop the Mustang vs. Camaro debate. Detroit is in the process of an image fix, instead of the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge rivalries, we should concentrate on whooping up on all the Civic Sis and Celicas with f@rt cannons on the back :-)

Anonymous

Hey whats a good midsized american car that looks cool and affordable? My girlfriend is in the market for a new vehicle and I want to lay it out anyone got any suggestions? And it cant be a Neon she dont like those.

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 74
Ok so I made an honest mistake (Bobby69camaro). You are right. The mustang was born in 1964 1/2.

BTW Johnathan I liked your facial on Taylor17 in this post

Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:29 pm

I love it when people actually ask to be corrected.

Ha Ha Ha...

No pun intended, Taylor17 (it was just funny)

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 75
midsized good looking affordable car??????????

pontiac grand prix

pontiac gto

ford mustang

chevy monte carlo

chevy impala

dodge stratus

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1610
GTo... I personally like truck's though.
I agree with Jonathan... I'm tired of the cars that sound like Bumble beez!:-)
People who think there 4 banger is bad A$$ get on my nerves!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3799
Mixneffect, you weren't wrong. The first Mustangs really were 1965 Mustangs, it was not the companies but the collectors who started calling certain Mustangs a 64 1/2, and that was way after the fact in the 1980s when the restoration of them became popular. The first run of Mustangs had little differences in the body panels (hood mainly), a generator that was later replaced with an alternator, and different engines such as the 170 six and the 260 V8, which were later replaced by the 200 inline six and the 289 V8 as options. There were also other minor changes. Collectors decided to call the first run 64 1/2 Mustangs so that people would recognize these differences more easily, because the changes occured during the same model year (around August of 1964 is when the changes took place) and you had a transition period where the cars got certain attributes of each due to cleaning off the shelves..

bobby69camaro
Unregistered guest
--------------------------------------------------

Personaly I would like to see C.O.P.O. Camaro's which is what the Yankos were anyway only with Don Yenko(The dealer/racer) Graphics on them. Other dealers sold them like Fred Gibb. Only this time Id like to see them with Body Panels Graphics something to differentiate them so they are more noticeable and car nuts to have to run the VIN numbers to recover them like happened with the old ones. In all honestly though Id be happy with the return of an retro SS for now. Didnt know that about the 64's Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Alumaprodave

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 15
Forget the Ford VS. Chevy crap neither company is known for quality. The only reason for the mustangs sales being so much stronger than the Camaro and Trans-Am from the mid 80's to late 90's is it's size. The mustang had more of a compact look and the Camaro/Trans looked to long. They could have come up with a better design so the front and the rear of the car did not stick out so far past the the tires. If anyone has an eye for shape you can see these things. After all into the 90's the the Camero/Trans were quicker than the Mustang. Just hope GM does not screw up the design and price of the car or it will be like the already forgotten new GTO, typical Pontiac design and to pricy.
Hell Dodge already has 20,000 bought new Charger's. Who cares about 2 more doors, they sloped the roof line down in back to give it somewhat of a coupe look. And with that new 6.1 HEMI (425 HP stock) in it, and the old 70's Daytona color combos (yellow/black and orange/black) they have a major hit. Look for this one to show up in all rap videos. Dub had one at the Chicago Auto Show, black, dropped and on 22's it looked SICK.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3827
"Look for this one to show up in all rap videos. Dub had one at the Chicago Auto Show, black, dropped and on 22's it looked"

Not a good motivator for buying a car. Most cars that end up on rap videos end up looking r@ped and lack class. As much as I like the 300, I get sick of seeing them pimped out, but I figured ahead of time that it would be pimped out regularly with it's Mercedes/Bentley look. Mopar doesn't have any better quality record than Ford or Chevy does, not any worse either, they're on par with each other as is. I've seen the Charger, regardless of the Hemi (not a true hemi, it's almost exactly the same as a 69 Ford 429 semi-hemi head, crescent chambers and a similar valve layout) it's still ugly. Even Charger fanatics agree with that. Mopar is on a roll, I'm just not a fan of their current lineup as the crosshairs and truckish looks are getting overdone in their lineup. The 6.1L, 425 HP Charger is still pushing the Charger to 0-60 at 5 seconds, same as the Mustang and GTO. 1/4 mile times are also about the same. The 5.7L powered Charger does 0-60 in closer to 6 seconds, slower than the Mustang and GTO. Times have changed, you aren't selling a motor anymore, you're selling a car.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1105
So the old school 426 hemi had a full half sphere combustion chamber? I thought Ford's 429 was the same deal, just Mopar had the term "hemi" copyrighted.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3828
Some were a hemi design (but differed in the sense that the valves had more angle and the valves were not completely opposed but turned a bit) and others were the crescent chamber type. The crescent chamber head (that's the semi-hemi) had D shaped valves, and as the name indicates, the chambers were crescent shaped and not fully hemisperical. Semi hemi heads had to be used on the new Dodge engines because a true Hemi head didn't satisfy in the emissions category.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1111
Yeah from what I hear the 426 was a pita to tune.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 16
Regardless of seeing the 300c blinged out that design is stunning. With that beefy of a body you need put 22's on it, it's a perfect match.
But the bling word gets thrown at it. Now if I were buying a 300c with the 5.7 hemi, not the 6.1 hemi also showing up in the SRT 300c, I would get:
a white one
a black GT class style rear spoiler
a set of black 22" wheels
a 1" drop kit
a carbon fiber hood (if they make one yet)
a Ken Bell super charger kit that shoots the 345 HP to 517 HP.
then do other performace upgrades.
I will have taken the bling word off of my fantasy 300c. The Charger showing up in rap videos is just a fact not a motivator. You can do the new Charger the same way as the above described 300c if you want to. I know the 4 doors pissed off alot of people, but It's all about money. The 2 doors didn't help the new GTO, but I'm sure it's because of design. You can even shave the rear door handles off the new Charger, weld the rear doors shut and tell your rear passengers to jump through the windows like the Duke Boys. Look all I'm saying is I'm glad the Germans are putting the HP and rear wheel drive back into Chrysler/Dodge. At least they didn't do a Malibu change over like GM or Ford putting out the Ford 500 with a six and a starting price of $25,000 with front wheel drive (all wheel drive optional)
And I know Chrysler is no better than GM and Ford with Quality, But here is some last weeks news:
Ford and GM down in sales for the first 4 months of 2005.
Chrysler up in sales for the 1st 4 months of 2005
Ford, the fire issues were being brought up again.
GM going to recall 2 million vehicles for seatbelts, and the Saturns for other probs.

Last thing I am rooting for a good Camaro from GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3829
I too like the 300 design, I just get sick of tasteless people overdoing it. The same way that a good song gets played 20 times a day on the radio, it just wears out too quick, know what I mean? If I had a performance car, I'd get my old 67 Mustang back that I put a 427 SOHC in, around 800 naturally aspirated horsepower, ran high 10s with it. I just don't miss the gas mileage :-).

The recalls are getting better for Ford and GM, while you hear more about it on the news, Ford has had fewer recalls in the last few months than Honda has, you just don't hear about it because Honda sends their recall info in the mail and does shop recalls instead of appearing on the nightly news.

WC
Unregistered guest
Honda's suck anyway,puss_y @ss cars.

WC
Unregistered guest
Your right, get an older mustang, or even the new ones, get the GT. I'd rather drive a truck though.

Bronze Member

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 18
Jonathan, I was 17 when I got my first car (1985), it was a red and black 70 Mach 1. It only had the 351W, but it was fast enough. Paid $2700 for it back then, God I wish I still had it for the weekends.

WC
Unregistered guest
http://www.its-over.net/dothedew2.jpg

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3837
WC, you should like this one:
Upload

Dave, know what you mean. I've always been into Ford vs. Chevy debates because my dad was a Chevy guy and I'm a Ford guy, and we both used to work on cars and compete with each other. I've got a good bit of respect for what Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all have done over the years, all have had great vehicles and great innovation. My first car was a 65 Mustang, and the 289 it had was the first engine build I ever did by myself. Of course your first car always holds a place in your heart.

WC
Unregistered guest
Check out the pictues

http://www.angelfire.com/emo/stephm168/nohonda.html

READ

http://maddox.xmission.com/civic.html

WOW, all this "hatin" on hondas get you tired, I could go for a V8, or 10.

WC
Unregistered guest
Sweet picture Jonathan.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3839
I haven't read Maddox's site in a while, thanks for the link. :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3840
Oh yeah, download this song :-) pretty funny
http://www.s10v8.com/print.php?sid=83

WC
Unregistered guest
Yea coo song, cadillac pimpin beat.

1969 Shelby Barracuda Z/28 RS
Unregistered guest
I would love to see a new Camaro. Preferably based on the original '67 model year. Of course, I have a list of options that I would like-

- RWD
- 6spd manual trans
- 5.3L V8 standard, 6.0L HO optional
- Etc.

No front-wheel-drive, auto trans, or 6cyl engines! I want a real car. Say hi to $@7@n for me, rice rocketeers! lol

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3314
www.yourcarsucks.net

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 762
There was a post kinda like this one over on another forum. One of the guys on that forum has a quote in his signature that reads something like this:

"Let me get this strait, your civic has 1.9L while my mountain dew has 2?"

I found that very amusing. :-)
Personally, I dont drive a sports car, but at least i drive a truck! (Vortec in mine :-)...fvck a VTEC)

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 763
well dam...i didnt even read that post that WC put up before i posted.

oh well.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2840
You know what's good about Vtec? On a highway. Not that useful in 0-60 races (at traffic lights).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us