Help Please!

Anonymous

I'm pretty handy when I know what the problem is when it comes to electronics. I need to repair my amp. The only thing is I'm not sure what exactly is the problem. I was riding playing my music and the the positive speaker wire popped out the amp and touched the casing of the amp. Next thing I know I saw sparking, heard crackling, and saw smoke coming out the vents of my amp. So stop and shut off the car quick as I can and checked out the amp. What mostly likely burned on the amp and how can I repair it?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2440
Whoa, that'll surely blow the amp. If your amp didn't have built in overload/short protection, then most likely, the output stage could be shot. What kind of amp do you have?
You might have to start with the input stage and work your way up to the output stage. With a power surge to the speaker terminal, it could cause whole lot of damage. It wasn't just a short, the amp also got a load of high current.
Best thing is to open up the amp and look for signs of burn marks. That's a big clue on what stage is defective.

Anonymous

Thanks a lot Isaac. I did a little bit of trial and error and figured out the problem. After troubleshooting the output isn't completely shot. It's kind of strange actually, it's like the 2 ohm operation is shot. I hooked everything back up like I had it and the bass sounded crappy as hell. Then I hooked only 1 of the 2 subs up to the amp and it played fine. So that's when I came to the conclusion that it'll work with any ohm load other than a 2 ohm load... and of course a 1 ohm load because it's not 1 ohm stable. |At least I dont think it is. Can you possibly find the specs of my amp? I have a Concept CC-500M.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2452
That Concept is not a popular one. I've rarely seen it on sale. I doubt anyone will be able to get any info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us