Infinity Kappa 693.5i with RF 801S amp?

Anonymous

Hello,

I'm a complete newb with car audio. With that in mind...

Here's what I have: RFX9400 head unit, 2 RFX HE2 12" subs, and an RF 801S amp. I also have Infinity Kappa 693.5i (6x9s) in the rear.

I needed the trunk space so I took out my subs entirely. I was wondering if my 801S amp can properly power the 693.5i kappas? The kappas are 4 ohm each. The amp says it can do 200W rms for each channel with a 4 ohm load. The speakers say "110W rms max".

In any case, I connected one of the kappas to the 801S amp to test the sound quality. It was crap. I was comparing it to the other 6x9 which is powered off my head unit. Not even a comparison. I turned down the gains on my amp, and tried setting High Pass/All Pass on the amp's crossover. Still nothing good. I also slowly turned up the amp's gains until the speaker reached "optimum sound quality" but it was still nothing to celebrate over.

So the main question is this: can I power my 693.5i Infinity Kappas with a Rockford 801S amp and get better sound quality than my head unit's power?

My amp's manual is here: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2003/3_Amplifiers/MAN4359B_punch2c h_MAN.pdf

My goal is just to use what I have without buying more equipment. Thanks for your help guys and gals. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 428
Have you tried running both speakers off of one output? So they only get 100 watts. Those speakers are probably only 80 watts rms, so they will still be overpowered, so I would keep the gain next to nothing.

Anonymous

That sounds like a good idea. I wasn't sure if overpowering the speakers would cause sound quality issues like this.

So to achieve that, I would connect the speakers in parallel, right? I'd split the positive and negative wires coming from 1 of the amp's outputs and plug them into their respective ends in each speaker?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 452
You would just run two seperate sets of wires from one output to your speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us