1200 Watt Dual Voice Coil 12" Subs, Wiring Help Needed.

Username: Vespian

Post Number: 1
Well, here it is.. i have bought two 12" 1200 watt (max) subwoofers.. They are dual voice coil, and have an impedance of four ohms. The amp that i got, is two a two channel, 1000 watt, 2 ohm stereo stable amp.. I have a few questions.. first off, am i at risk of underpowering my subs, and destroying the coils in them? Is the amp i have going to be enough power? Im a bit worried about that.. Second.. How the heck am i going to wire them.. i looked all over, and i cant figure out if each coil is rated at 4 ohms, or if the total impedance equals four ohms.. and then how the hell am i suppost to wire it all up to acheive nominal power? Someone help me, please.. Im going insane..

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1994
you cnat hurt subs from udnerpowering them unless you clip the amp. if its what you say, give us more details please, but for now what i see is, wire the subs in parrallel then each one to each channel of the amp, each sub will be underpowered by 100 watts no big deal, and to wire in parralel wire each sub like this, pos to pos and neg to neg on the SUB then a neg to the eng on the amp and a pos to a pos on the amp, tahts it

Post Number: 2
can i bridge the amp while running the speakers in parrallell?

Post Number: 3
nm.. ill just wire them in stereo..

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1997
is it 1 ohm stable?

Post Number: 4
I have to look at the amp before i can say what it puts out at a specific ohm rating, i just ordered it.. havent had a chance to look at its birth certificate yet..

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1998
what amp is it, what subs

Post Number: 5
Its 2 ohm stereo stable.. i know that much

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1999
what amp is it

Post Number: 6
Pyle PL1290BL subs.. 1200 watt, 4 ohm(total?), Dual Coil..

Post Number: 7
The amp is a Pyramid PB712X

Post Number: 8
Not the best stuff you can buy, but good enough for me, and within my budget..

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2000
did u already buy it, and how much did u spend?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2001
can u send me a link to the amp, and a link to the subs please

Post Number: 10
100 total for the speakers, with shipping.. and like.. 60 for the amp.. with shipping..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Amp: http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=PB712SX

Speakers: http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PL1290BL

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2002
that stuff helps me NONE, im erally sorry but im not sure whats giong on with your stuff, i hope fomsone else can help im just really stonred lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
lol, and you see my confusion.. I did a lot of recearch on this before i came to this site, and it all left me askign one question.. Is each coil 2 ohms, or 4 ohms.. the speaker said 4 ohm impedance, but is that per coil, or total.. that is all i really need to know, i can figure the rest out..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Id be better off just investing in a 1600 watt four channel amp and wiring each coil to one channel..

Username: Chungy

Australia

Post Number: 5
i think it's 4ohms each coil.
Have you check out this link: http://www.lalena.com/audio/faq/wiring/

Did u try asking the seller too?

hope all that helps. Good luck mate

Unregistered guest
Paul, you have some rather low grade stuff, but I've seen some crappy equipment perform pretty good, for the amount spent. Your best bet is to do what Subfanatic told you earlier. If the amp is 2ohm stereo stable, then wire each speaker in parallel, meaning you take the speaker wire leads of each voice coil and connect the positive lead off the left voice coil to the positive lead of the right voice coil and repeat for the negative lead of each voice coil. This will basically allow you to wire the two voice coils of each speaker into one of the two channels of the amp.

The technical way to explain it is: if you have one voice coil that is of 4ohm impedence, when wired to an amp. will create a 4ohm load on the amp. However if you have two voices of 4ohm impedence wired to a single channel of an amp. the ohm load created on the amp is cut in half. Creating a 2ohm load on the amp. If a stereo amp. has a 2 ohm load on each of it's two channels that's called a 2ohm stereo load. Which is your amps best operating level.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us