Amp wiring questions

Anonymous

i have 2 12" 1100 watt subs wired parrellel running at 4 ohms nomial, idk what nomial means bnut thats what is says, now to i ahve to get a 1 channel amp to power these, or just use 1 channel on a 2 channel amp cus i think ur not supposed to bridge a 2 channel amp thats power 4 ohm subs.....and is pioneer a good amp?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 260
you'll need a 1 channel amp to push thoes. you can use a 2 channel bridged at 4 ohms and be fine. pioneer is ok, but it all depends on what your looking for and how much you wanna spend.
top suggestions - JL, Zapco, Orion
lower suggestions - kicker, rockford, mtx
theres plenty more brands, you'll get osme more suggestions.

Anonymous

yea i dont got the money to go with the top ones, ive been lookin at a rockford and a pioneer maybe mtx but idk, but bridging a 2 channel amp to 2 parellel subs running at 4 ohms isnt bad? thanks for the help

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 266
how you wire the subs mostly depends on the amp. what are the subs?? single or dual VC?? 2 or 4 ohms??

Anonymous

the brand is dual...its an off brand...its single vc at 4 ohms

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 268
ok, so you'll have to wire them in parallel for a 2 ohm load (vs. a 8 ohm load, which is too high) so you just need to look at different amps and their RMS rating at 2 ohms.

Anonymous

no no the subs are already parallel, they are 4 ohms while parellel, a paper in the box for the amp said not to bridget the amp to 2 subs running parellel at 4ohm, do i need to get a 1 channel amp to power these or just use 1 channel of a 2 channel amp or bridge it or what

Username: Gsxr750

Post Number: 1
Ihave a memphis 1500wt 1.5ohm mono block amp,whats the true rms of this amp

Post Number: 2
also is that amp too strong for the 2 infinity kapa perfect 12.1d's the rms is 350 or 175 per v.c.the peak is 1400

Anonymous

look on the internet for specs on it and look for the rms.....it may be just dont turn the level up very far

Post Number: 3
how do i wie 2 4 ohm subs toa 1.5 stable amp

Post Number: 4
2, 4ohm subs to a 1.5 ohm amp

Username: Mad_at_madd

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 10
david, if that amp is the 16-MC1500D then the true RMS at 14.4 volts is 1500 watts and will destroy your subs like nothing. Memphis is known for having the highest efficiency rating of any D-class amp of the market. I have a memphis 500watt D-class amp (16-MC500D) pushing two Aplines with an RMS/peak of 250/500 and it pushes them to the limit and maybe a little past that.

I would wire it the speakers in series for a 4ohm load on the amp and see if it push them, if it doesn't then you can try wiring the speakers to a 2ohm load (this is the lowest ohm load you can get with 2 dual 4ohm V.C. subs and still remain within the working parameters of the 1.5ohm stable amp.

Post Number: 5
thanks travis

Post Number: 6
how do i wire them for a 2ohm load

Bronze Member

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 16
ok this is what you do. You have to wire each speaker in series so that the total impedance of each speaker is 8ohms. In order to do this you are going to have to run a wire from the positive terminal of one V.C. to the negative terminal of the other V.C. You will be left with one positive lead and one negative lead to run back to the amp. Repeat this step for the other speaker.

Now, if that memphis is the 16-MC1500D, then it is bridgeable. If it is this amp. the way you bridge that amp. is you only use the outer two terminals which are the positive of one channel and the negative of the other channel.

At this point you will have 2 positive wires and 2 negative wires, one of each from each speaker. Now all you have to do is splice the two positive wires together into one and do the same to the 2 negative wires. Now you have one positive wire and one negative and one positive terminal and one negative terminal to use. Put the positive wire into the positive terminal of the bridged channel and the negative wire into the negative terminal of the bridged channel. This will put a 4ohm load on the amp. At 4ohms this amp should put out an RMS of roughly 562.5 watts.

Running a 2ohm load will most likely result in subwoofer failure. Since at a 2ohm load that amp puts out roughly a 1125 watt RMS (which is twice as much as 562.5watts) and the speakers, wired in series the way I told you earlier, will have a total RMS of 600 watts. Thus you will be overpowering them by 525 watts.

Post Number: 7
i got the aw1206t two of them the rms is 1100wt the peak is close to 2000 if not more but they r 4 ohm dual v.c.

Bronze Member

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 17
OK then, in order to put a 2ohm load on the amp. you have the wire the speakers in stereo. In order to do this you have to wire each speaker in parallel circiut. Just take the positive leads from one speaker and splice them together into one positive and then take and do the same with the two negative wires of the same sub.

After you have done that to both subs the overall impedence of each sub will be 2ohms. So all you have to do now is take the positive and negative wires of each speaker and hook the right sub's two wires into the right channel of the amp. and hook the two wires of the left sub. into the left channel of the amp.

You have now created a 2ohm stereo load on the amp. Which is the lowest ohm load I know of that can be both produced by the speakers and is within the working parameters of the amp. The only other impedence I know how to wire is 1ohm, but you stated earlier that your amp. is on 1.5ohm stable.

Post Number: 8
thanks, the amp model is 16-PR1.5KD

Post Number: 9
its a mono amp i dont think that would work,will it

Bronze Member

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 21
If it is a true mono channel amp. and only has one positive and one negative terminal then no the 2ohm stereo load would be impossible to achieve with that amp.

I'm assuming, from the part number you gave us for your subs that they are two audiobahn's. If I'm correct that memphis amp you have should be able to push them just fine. Memphis is a high quality car audio company where as audiobahn is a few degrees lower than memphis.

If I am incorrect then and that amp cannot push those subs at a 4ohm mono load I would be shocked. plus you have nothing to lose by wiring it that way and seeing if it works to your liking.

Nothing against your equipment, but I personally do not care for audiobahn. However, everyone is different in they're taste of how a system should sound. And are entitled to their own opinion.

If the subs. where dual 2ohm V.C. 12's then you could wire the two in series for a 2ohm mono load as opposed to the 4ohm mono load that your currents subs. create when wired in series.

Post Number: 10
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us