Pole: CAP OR NEW ALT

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 24
is the money/time connecting a cap worth it? or just buying a HO alt? if so anyone know price ranges on alts and what amp alt I would need to push 1400rms watts

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 855
Alternator

Depends on what size alternator you already have, but for most vehicles I'd say 1400 watts would warrant one. A cap may help how your system sounds slightly, but if your existing alternator is lacking a cap is no substitue for a higher output replacement and could actually make things a bit worse.

If you have a domestic vehicle this is fairly inexpensive place to start looking:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1289
Exactly, the best way to fix any problems is to get a HO alternator. A 200A alt should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 455
What if your running 800 watts rms and you have a 80amp alternator stock???

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 236
wattage/12.6 = amps

plus you have to take into consideration the car electrical pull

1400/12.6 = 111.2
800/12.6 = 63.5

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
I have to take into consideration the car electrial pull??? you mean like other electrical things like lights and windshield wipers and a/c????

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 240
yes, that requires power too and it gets it from the same place the stereo does, battery/alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7523
fuel pump, electronic ignition, etc.. all draws power.
to be safe, figure 80% of your stock alternator rating is used by the car's systems, and add from there for a stereo system to calculate a HO alternator size you need.

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
Ok question? should i run my jl 500/1 or my zapco referance 500m class a/b mono amp??? the zapco does 500rms at 4ohms and is underated and can do 538rms and at 2 ohms it can do 700rms. The fuse rating is 40A for the zapco though. Which one of these amps whould be more efficiant if i run it to a avalanche 15 800 watt subwoofer.????? my stock alternator is 80 amps and im also running my ppia300.2 for componants.. and i will use my batcap 800 stereo battery in the back..thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7548
the JL is a class D amp. it'll be more efficient.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
Yeah i know but i wasnt sure cause of the fuse ratings on each. Just wasnt sure which whould draw more current from my system

Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 1
I am going to be hooking up a class D amp that is 1500 watts rms. Will i need a HO altinator, or i can i ge by with a capacitator? I have a stock altanator in a 2000 ford ranger, i have no clue how much power it puts out...?

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
search for your alternator at like www.autozone.com and you can see how many amps it is. Just put your make and model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us