System set up

Unregistered guest
I recently bought 2 10" Alpine type S's for my Grand Am. I am looking for an amp, headunit, and cheap box for them. Does anyone know what type of amp or headunit I should get?

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 393
headunit: alpine, eclipse, clarion pro audio, pioneer premier.

amp: lots of choices. zapco, xtant, older orion, ppi art series/PC series, us amps, memphis, eclipse, mtx.

what's your budget? what's the ohm rating on the subs?

gicts
Unregistered guest
2 ohms, 900 watts max output and 300 watts RMS. Lol I'm looking to spend the least I have to on the amp and HU. I wouldn't mind buying used, and am thinking I'll spend around $350 I'm not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1266
2 ohm dvc right? and 350 and the amp, or for both?

gicts
Unregistered guest
correct, dvc and hopefully $350 for both. I guess I will pay whatever I have to in order for my subs to play the max they can though

Bronze Member
Username: Iceflamekilla

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 14
is that 300 watts all together or for each sub?

gicts
Unregistered guest
lol each sub

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 20
Rockford Fosgate P5002 is a good amp for your type of setup. It puts 250 watts RMS to each channel @ 2 ohms. They go for about $250 on the web. As for Head Units, there are many good options. I always recommend Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer Premier. Alpines are kind of slacking off with this years models, with only 2 volt preouts and 16 watts per channel. Nothing compared to last years CDA-9833 or 9835 with built in V-Drive amp and 4 volt preouts. The higher voltage on the preouts the better the system will sound. Kenwoods are known for their high voltage preouts. So if you can spare the extra cash, i'd recommend looking into the Alpine CDA-9833(Discountinued but still for sale on some websites), the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X589, and the Pioneer DEH-P860MP Premier CD Receiver. They are pricy units but don't slack off on the Head Unit. Your total sound reproduction depends on how good your Head Unit is.

plopez187
Unregistered guest
If I buy 2 of the new 15" Alpine Type Rs, which Alpine amps would I be better off with if I want to hook 1 amp to each sub? I want the subs to pound and the amps to be the same kind.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 25
Those Alpines dump 750 Watts of RMS power, so you're definitely gonna need some serious amps. The Alpine MRD-M1005 will be perfect for your type of setup. It's a Mono amp that throws 700 Watts RMS to one single channel. You will definitely need 2 of these things. The MSRP on them are $600 each but you can get them on OnlineCarStereo.com for $387.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14926

Their description says 500 watts but thats @ 12 volts. It's really 700 Watts @ 14.4.

plopez187
Unregistered guest
What if I were to buy 3 12" Alpine Type Ss, which three Alpine amps would I be better off with if I hook each 1 to a sub? Would I be better off buying the 2 15" Type Rs with 2 amps or the three 12" Type Ss with three amps? I want to be satisfied with how hard my system to bumps.

Bronze Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 98
What kind of vehicle are you putting this in?

plopez187
Unregistered guest
A 98' Chrysler Sebring. Either 1 will fit just fine, there is alot of trunk space.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 105
WHat type of sound are you going for? SQ, or SPL? You could get one really sub that would do a better job than all those Apines. I would look into getting an RE X.X.X. 15" and powering it with a JL 1000/1. best of both worlds

plopez187
Unregistered guest
What is SQ and SPL,which is better??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3612
Agree with David, I feel it's best to get a single better sub and build a good box for it than to try getting multiple so-so or good ones in the same space. A strong sub and a well built ported box will go a long way for SQ/SPL. SQ is sound quality, SPL is Sound Pressure Level (volume). Neither is better, just what you prefer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us