4 speakers off a 2 channel

Username: 82targa

Post Number: 1
I just bought a used car that has a 600w Sony Xplod amp running Polk/Momo 5.25 component speakers in the doors. There is nothing in the back deck. I am going to put in a second pair of the Polks, but the amp is only a 2 channel.

I understand that attaching a second set of speakers will lower the ohms, and increase the overall load......but should't a 600w amp be able to run 4 of these little 5.25 speakers?

I'm a noob so don't assume I know squat...I don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 50
Well it's a Sony amp, so you're probably not even running 600w. I suggest you purchase a bigger amp, like a Kicker 650.4 and bridge the rear two channels to a subwoofer, and forget about rear speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2131
Most 2 channel amps are 2ohms stable in stereo mode. Of course it's assumed that you have a "decent" amp. Sony/Pyramid/Pyle/Lanzar/Boss may or may not support 2ohms.
That is a waste of a setup. Powering Polk Momo component speakers with Sony amp. You might want to invest in a better amp before you blow the speakers.

Username: 82targa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info all.

Rather than pull the Sony amp, I may just add a second 2 channel for the back.

I am not putting in a sub because there is no room. Its an 82 porsche 911. Also, in a car that tiny, the component speakers have plenty of thump for my needs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us